Complicated situation

ceres

Jurisdiction
California
To whom it may concern:

I'm wondering if a professional can lend a hand or lead me on the right path to resolution for the current matter:

My father whom recently passed was part of a trust that his brother (whom also passed) had originally created. He, my father, would normally check up on my uncle until his unfortunate demise. Because of the paralegal that my dad (i think) or uncle dealt with before their passing, the trust that was written didn't include some particular information which led my uncles estate into probate. I was also recently informed that I too, as well as my uncles grandchild, was listed in the trust. With this in mind, my uncle had no heirs listed in said trust aside from my dad however, his daughter (my cousin) who wasn't in the picture for the past 30 years decided to come out of the woodwork and now has a lawsuit that's been in limbo due to my dad's ailing condition; at the time, my dad couldn't afford it and was already in the hospital due to his condition. He tried reasoning with his niece and decided to split the estate at 50/50 amicably however the niece declined this and believed she was entitled to All her father assets regardless of the circumstances. In other words, greed potentially got to her despite not being:

a) in the trust and
b) not being involved in her own fathers life for so long

She even made a point to show her appreciation towards my dad in a text message on facebook acknowledging how much she appreciated my dad for his commitment to helping her dad before he passed (I suppose this is of no significance? but thought i'd thrown in in case it was) The dilemma now is the following:

Because my dad was listed in the original trust but due to some discrepancy the lawsuit is now in probate limbo of sorts. My cousin has not followed up on said lawsuit for unknown reasons unless she and her other two siblings are in talks of trying to gather potential funds to proceed but this is mere speculation on my part. My biggest concern is what happens now considering both are deceased?

I understand and correct me if I'm wrong my cousin can try to sue me because she believes she's entitled regardless of the situation but will pose great difficulty on her behalf. With that being said, can she:

1) try to come after my dad's estate or me since she decided otherwise on my dads offer which i believe was generous considering he was also paying for my uncles fees associated with the house like bills, house tax, etc.
2) Can she be in favor of actually winning anything despite not being listed in any of the aforementioned (Trust) and not wanting anything to do with her dad until his passing, hence my reference for coming out of the woodwork.
3) How do things change if my fathers estate is currently in a reverse mortgage but was set up successfully in a trust for both my brother and I who have agreed to split the assets 50/50 before my fathers passing? I have no intention of wanting to sell the house and currently reside here since my dads health had gradually diminished until his recent passing.

Ultimately what I would like to know is if my cousin can come after me despite all this shenanigans even if my husband and I (or he since he's the only sole provider of our family) can qualify for a loan to pay off the current reverse mortgage?

Lastly, for everything to be fair how would the 50/50 split be completed under a reverse mortgage? would i also have to give up my half to pay out my brother meaning, say the house is worth 350k we both get 150k but in order for it to be possibly fair, i would still need to add an additional 75k to my brother which he would be 225k leaving me with only 75k? is that even considered fair?

Apologies as I didn't mean to write a book but just looking for another avenue of advice for this convoluted craziness as I've been stressed out trying to get everything organized accordingly. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Ceres

Apologies as I didn't mean to write a book but just looking for another avenue of advice for this convoluted craziness as I've been stressed out trying to get everything organized accordingly. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Ceres

Your legal situation is much too complex and convoluted for an internet discussion site.

However, here's the GOOD news you surely want to use!!!

A will must go through a legal process called probate, by which the court will administrate and examine the will.

Trusts are not required to be probated upon the death of the grantor.

California allows a person to hold most any asset she/he owns in a living trust to avoid probate.

When the person dies, her/his successor trustee will transfer the living trust to the beneficiaries without any probate court proceedings

In addition, a trust cannot be contested.

If you wish to better understand your legal dilemma, I suggest you make at least three appointments with attorneys that practice in the area of trusts, wills, and estates.

The initial consultation is normally offered free of charge.

You'll probably have 30 minutes or so to get a better grasp on the issues, and to learn how much the attorney will charge you if you choose her/him to represent you.

I suggest you make those appointments for the next 48 hours, because time appears to be of the essence regarding this complicated matter.

Probate | Paul Horn Law Firm

California Trust Notification Requirements Lawyer | Trust Beneficiary Notice Mission Hills CA

The Superior Court of California - County of Orange

Your legal situation is much too complex and convoluted for an internet discussion site.

However, here's the GOOD news you surely want to use!!!

A will must go through a legal process called probate, by which the court will administrate and examine the will.

- Understood however no will was ever in place

Trusts are not required to be probated upon the death of the grantor.
- so this is only applicable if there is a discrepancy or how does this work? The trust was under my dad's name and apparently had the address of the estate listed. is there something I'm missing here?

California allows a person to hold most any asset she/he owns in a living trust to avoid probate.

- Understood however how about the orange I had mentioned above this paragraph? How does that work?

When the person dies, her/his successor trustee will transfer the living trust to the beneficiaries without any probate court proceedings
- Apparently that was wasn't the case. This seems to be contradicting as my cousin Still managed to have a lawsuit against my father despite not being listed as a beneficiary in the trust.

In addition, a trust cannot be contested.
- If this were the case then i don't seem to understand why the courts even bothered proceeding with my cousins lawsuit. how and/or why this did even continue then?

If you wish to better understand your legal dilemma, I suggest you make at least three appointments with attorneys that practice in the area of trusts, wills, and estates.

The initial consultation is normally offered free of charge.

You'll probably have 30 minutes or so to get a better grasp on the issues, and to learn how much the attorney will charge you if you choose her/him to represent you.

I suggest you make those appointments for the next 48 hours, because time appears to be of the essence regarding this complicated matter.

Completely understand. One last question though, since the lawsuit my cousin opened against my dad on her fathers estate wasn't amicably agreed upon and since she didn't follow up on said existing lawsuit, does she have the right to put a lien on my fathers estate since he passed considering she didn't agree to his previous offer of splitting my uncle's estate? that's what makes me afraid at the moment.

Ideally i could care less about my uncles estate as much as my father did when he couldn't afford the fees. Best case scenario for that is that my uncles estate goes to bank and they do whatever needs to be done and my cousin gets squat for her bad intentions. My big gripe is whether she has such opportunity to try placing an lien on my fathers estate when it doesn't even belong to her.

My father whom recently passed was part of a trust that his brother (whom also passed) had originally created.

What does "part of a trust" mean? If your uncle created the trust, then he was the settlor/trustor. Who are the trustee(s) and beneficiary(ies)?

Because of the paralegal that my dad (i think) or uncle dealt with before their passing, the trust that was written didn't include some particular information which led my uncles estate into probate.

Not sure if this is an important point, but it's completely vague.

I was also recently informed that I too, as well as my uncles grandchild, was listed in the trust.

Informed by whom? Listed in what capacity? Do you have or did you request a copy of the trust instrument?

his daughter (my cousin) who wasn't in the picture for the past 30 years decided to come out of the woodwork and now has a lawsuit that's been in limbo due to my dad's ailing condition

A lawsuit against whom (your father?) for what? Why did your father's "ailing condition" (and eventual death) cause the lawsuit to be "in limbo" (and what does that mean)?

In other words, greed potentially got to her despite not being:

a) in the trust and
b) not being involved in her own fathers life for so long

Whether or not she was "involved in her own father[']s life" is irrelevant, and you appear to have indicated that there was some sort of defect in the trust. You didn't indicate if your uncle had a will. However, if he did not, then his daughter (along with her siblings) would be entitled to the entire estate (assuming he was unmarried at the time of his death).

I understand and correct me if I'm wrong my cousin can try to sue me because she believes she's entitled regardless of the situation but will pose great difficulty on her behalf.

Putting aside the fact that anyone can sue anyone for anything, on what basis would your cousin sue you?

can she:

1) try to come after my dad's estate or me

I don't know what "come after" means, and I noted above that anyone can sue anyone for anything. That said, your post suggests no basis for any legal action against you or your father's estate.

I'm going to stop there and point out that your post is incredibly unclear, and no one here has any knowledge of the trust, your father's or uncle's wills (if either had one), the lawsuit filed by your cousin, or the status of the probate of either your father's or your uncle's estate.

If your father was in litigation with your cousin, then the executor of your father's estate needs to confer with his lawyer about future steps. You didn't say how long ago your father died. If it's recent such that no executor has been appointed yet, then you or whoever intends to seek appointment as executor can reach out to the lawyer to discuss the matter preliminarily.

since the lawsuit my cousin opened against my dad on her fathers estate wasn't amicably agreed upon and since she didn't follow up on said existing lawsuit, does she have the right to put a lien on my fathers estate since he passed considering she didn't agree to his previous offer of splitting my uncle's estate?

No idea what you mean when you say that "she didn't follow up on [the] lawsuit," but nothing suggests she has any entitlement to a lien against anything.

Ideally i could care less about my uncles estate

Could or couldn't? "I could care less" means you do care.

Back