Compensation for recent repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynn Adams

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I was in an auto accident where the other party is at fault. The vehicle is a 2005 model with almost 240,000 miles on it. I know the other party is responsible for the actual cash value of my vehicle, but I have performed several repairs withing the last few months. My question; is the other party responsible for the cost of the repairs? I have receipts. If the answer is yes, I performed the work myself as my job is certified auto technician, can I be compensated for labor?

The vehicle is a 2005 model with almost 240,000 miles on it.

A 13-14 year old car with mileage in excess of 240K is worth about 12-15% of its original MSRP.

That is a guideline, not a hard, fast, firm rule.

Demand for any commodity drives the price UP, or pushes it down.

An average guide is about 12K miles per year.
A 12-13 year old car approximates 155-165K for its 1.3 decade old life.

Yours is about 100K over that guideline.

As @Highwayman succinctly put it, FAIR MARKET VALUE.

Until a civil court has apportioned FAULT, or an insurance company wishes to SETTLE that matter without litigation, no one is summarily at fault in most collisions.

You appear to reside in Minnesota.

Minnesota is a No-Fault state and Fault doesn't Matter!

While the no-fault statute applies to all car accidents, you may still have a claim against the other driver for your personal injuries.

Minnesota law allows you to pursue a claim against a driver that caused the accident if you have serious enough injuries.

As far as property damage is concerned, think NO FAULT.

A MN lawyer offers insight into the laws of your state:

Minnesota No-Fault: How No-Fault Works

Your Money: What I didn't know about auto insurance until an accident

Personal Injury Insurance Coverage in Minnesota

==============================================

Every insured driver is entitled to no-fault benefits in Minnesota when they are involved in an accident. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you may also be eligible to pursue a liability personal injury claim against the insurance company of the person responsible or at fault for the accident. This happens when damages include one of the following:

Permanent injury or disfigurement;
More than $4,000 in medical expenses, services or products (not including diagnostics like x-rays or MRIs);
Disability lasting for more than 60 days; and
Death
If the at-fault person is uninsured, the lawsuit or claim may need to be filed against the uninsured motorist coverage on your own policy.

Personal Injury Insurance Coverage in Minnesota

Your receipts may help to justify a higher value for the car, but you will only be compensated for the value of the car, not the cost of the taxpayr or labor.

Was is the best way for me to convey the added value to the insurance adjuster? Any specific language or key words I should use?

Also, my understanding of MN no-fault did not apply to property damage, just medical, wage loss and services

my understanding of MN no-fault did not apply to property damage, just medical, wage loss and services

Your understanding is exactly what the MN lawyers reported, and coincides with my understanding, too.

Now you should understand why your hopes and expectations shouldn't be held TOO high regarding what you MIGHT receive for a 13-14 year old vehicle with mileage NORTH of 250,000, regardless of the work you allege to have done on it.

Was is the best way for me to convey the added value to the insurance adjuster? Any specific language or key words I should use?

Once you know how it works you'll be able to figure out what to say. If your car is a total loss the Actual Cash Value will be determined based on the condition of the car prior to the accident. There are several levels of condition: Junk, Poor, Fair, Good, Excellent.

Pre-loss photos of the car, inside and out, would help show the condition.

Your repairs might or might not have brought the condition up from one level to the next.

The other driver would be responsible for the ACV of the pre-loss condition level, not the ACV + the repairs.

If you would provide a list of the repairs you did I'd be able to comment further.

I was in an auto accident where the other party is at fault. The vehicle is a 2005 model with almost 240,000 miles on it. I know the other party is responsible for the actual cash value of my vehicle, but I have performed several repairs withing the last few months. My question; is the other party responsible for the cost of the repairs? I have receipts. If the answer is yes, I performed the work myself as my job is certified auto technician, can I be compensated for labor?

Hi Lynn Adams

Your receipts may help to justify a higher value for the car, but you will only be compensated for the value of the car, you are not compensated for the labor. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back