Unlawful Eviction Commercial rental unit eviction dispute in NH

Status
Not open for further replies.

SadTenantNH

Jurisdiction
New Hampshire
Hello,

I thought it would be wise to post my situation on some forums for advice before I confront my landlord about it.

My landlord entered my commercial unit with no grounds for an emergency (as well as a few other tenants in my section of the mill building). We all got notices of eviction. Subsequently, our units were immediately listed back online as available rent. My unit cost me $700/mo and they relisted it for $1000. I think fundamentally this is why he did this. To capitalize on a scarce commercial rental market.

I barely go to this unit any more, it's mostly just used as storage and a yoga studio for my girlfriend. The other day she went in to teach a lesson and found an eviction notice placed under our door and a bunch of our property moved around inside our unit.

I guess that morning the landlord had let himself in, unannounced and without any precedence to claim an emergency. I believe this was in violation of state law. That said my girlfriend had a space heater on to warm the place up before her lesson. This I will admit was inviolation of our lease, as you can see in the following provision:

8. UTILITIES AND SERVICE INTERRUPTION Lessor shall pay all utility service charges assessed against the demised premises excluding telephone and heat. No additional heating units may be used by tenants that have not been approved by the lessor . If the tenant installs a window air conditioner in the unit, it shall result in an annual fee of $100.00.

However, this was only found after what I think was an illegal entry was performed by my landlord. I'm not sure if the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine applies here but it still seems shady. He had no way of knowing that she was operating that without an illegal entry.

What I'm deeply curious about is if he actually had the right to enter unannounced like this?

Our lease has the following provision:

12. LESSOR'S ACCESS Lessor or his agents may, at reasonable times, enter to view the leased premises and remove placards and signs not approved by Lessor, make repairs and alterations as Lessor should elect to do and show the leased premises to others; and, at any time within three (3) months before expirations of the term, affix to any suitable part of the premises a notice for letting or selling the leased premises or the building and keep the same so affixed without hindrance.

My research has led me to the following conclusion. If a lease agreement conflicts with RSA 540-B: Commercial Landlord and Tenant Act in New Hampshire, the provisions of the lease agreement will generally control.

However, a lease agreement cannot waive or limit any of the tenant's rights that are protected by law, including those established by RSA 540-B. In such cases, the provisions of RSA 540-B will still apply, and the conflicting provisions of the lease agreement will be considered void and unenforceable.

Under RSA 540-B: Commercial Landlord and Tenant Act in New Hampshire, the landlord must give reasonable notice to the tenant before entering the commercial premises, except in cases of emergency. The notice must state the date, time, and purpose of the entry.

Is my interpretation of the law correct?

Do I have any legal grounds to contest this eviction based on his illegal entry?

I have more follow up questions and details, but I think this is a good first step to see if it's worth the effort or cost to hire an attorney.

Thanks!

Moderator's Note - The following may save y'all a lot of typing. It's my response to the same post down the street. A lot of questions need answering.

SadTenantNH said:
Is my interpretation of the law correct?

No. Not a bit.

RSA 540-B is entitled "Rental of Shared Facility."

RSA 540-B:1 A "shared facility" means real property rented for residential purposes which has separate sleeping areas for each occupant and in which each occupant has access to and shares with the owner of the facility one or more significant portions of the facility in common, such as kitchen, dining area, bathroom, or bathing area, for which the occupant has no rented right of sole personal use.

New Hampshire Revised Statutes Title LV, Title 540-B (2021) - Rental of Shared Facilities :: 2021 New Hampshire Revised Statutes :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

How you are interpreting this as a Commercial Landlord Tenant Act is beyond me. Especially since the word "residential" is used in the definition. And you refer to a "mill" which is not a residence.

What this statute appears to be addressing is a dwelling where the owner lives in it, rents out rooms, and shares common areas with his "roommates."

SadTenantNH said:
We all got notices of eviction.

I think you have that wrong, too. Eviction and termination are two different thing. What I think you got is a termination notice, giving you a certain amount of time to vacate the building. Eviction is a court procedure that follows a termination notice if a tenant is not gone by the termination date.

The legality of the termination has nothing to do with the landlord's entry. He could have easily left the termination notices on the doors.

Question 1 - What, exactly, does the termination notice say? Quote it word for word. Don't leave anything out except identifying information.

SadTenantNH said:
my commercial unit ... my section of the mill building).

Question 2 - Explain the rental arrangement of your commercial unit in the mill building.

Question 3 - What are the from-to dates of the current lease period?.What day of the month is your rent payable? Has the current month's rent been paid on time?

Answer all three questions so we have a better understanding of what is happening.

Moderator's Note - The following may save y'all a lot of typing. It's my response to the same post down the street. A lot of questions need answering.

By the way, Jack's first link takes you to the other forum where this was asked. So you I won't post the link again. The OP provided more information on the other site, and my reply there is the same as below:

It's not clear yet why the landlord went into the unit and indeed if it was the landlord at all (though that seems most likely). Even if it was, what reason was given to you and the other tenants for notice to vacate? The other units could not have gotten notices to terminate based on your space heater. So I suspect it's something else motivating the eviction. So knowing the landlord's defense would be significant. The problem is, your lease is is month to month the landlord doesn't really need to cite a lease violation to get you out at the end of the monthly period. The lease may be terminated in that case by the landlord simply refusing to continue your lease. As Jack has already pointed out, the provision in the state law about shared rental units refers to renting out places for people to live, i.e. residential leases. As yours is a commercial lease, that wouldn't apply. State laws tend to be a lot less tenant friendly when it comes to commercial leases because (1) its not someone's home, and thus the tenant is not at risk of being homeless in the event of eviction and (2) the Legislature assumes two parties with roughly equal bargaining power and knowledgeable enough about how commercial leases work that commercial tenants don't need the same protection.

@SadTenantNH , it should occur to you by now that those of us that participate on this site also participate on the other side so I'm locking this thread to avoid duplicate discussions on two sites.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back