Consumer Fraud Commanded to Appear??

Status
Not open for further replies.

annemarie49

Hi,
I just got a subpoena...
What does it mean to get a subpoena to be a witness (mail in docs was requested) in a criminal action
prosecuted by the People?
Once the date has passed to appear, how long until a decision is rendered?

Its from Consumer Frauds.

Thank you.

If you've been subpoenaed, you've been ordered to appear in court or at a governmental hearing by a governmental body that has subpoena power.

In your case, it is some consumer frauds agency.

You are required to appear, or you risk later arrest and civil penalties.

Don't fail to appear.

If you do, you make big trouble for yourself.

So appear, testify as to what you know, tell the truth, and you'll get this over with quickly.

I'm sorry, I have another question. The supeona was a command to appear as a witness, but they only wanted documents sent in, so was this for presentation to the grand jury? Even though it asked that I come, it said I could mail in docs. So was the case heard? How long until I know if there's an indictment? There was never a complaint filed or served, this was the first thing I got. I've been reading that most cases that go to the grand jury are indicted since its one sided. Its been almost a month already and I haven't heard anything.
Thanks

I suggest you do as the subpoena instructed.

If you're unclear about what is required if you contact the agency that subpoenaed you, or hire a lawyer.

How long?

I wouldn't know.

Again, ask the agency that subpoenaed you.

I'm sorry, I have another question. The supeona was a command to appear as a witness, but they only wanted documents sent in, so was this for presentation to the grand jury? Even though it asked that I come, it said I could mail in docs. So was the case heard? How long until I know if there's an indictment? There was never a complaint filed or served, this was the first thing I got. I've been reading that most cases that go to the grand jury are indicted since its one sided. Its been almost a month already and I haven't heard anything.
Thanks

Is it possible for me to call the DA office and find out the outcome? I assume they were going for a silent indictment since there were no arrests made yet or prior to the grand jury. Also, If i'm named in the subpoena can I still call. It's been over a month already.

You can call, but if the indictments are sealed, they won't discuss them with you.

If you're named, you'll know soon enough.

If you fear indictment, you'd be smart to lawyer up sooner, rather than later!!!!!

Also, if you fear arrest, arrange bail with a bondsman.

Sometimes a connected bondsman can find out things you can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back