College refusing admission, hospital internship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Arizona "serial DUI" would be 3 offenses within 72 months.That never applied to me.The aggravated circumstance was dui while vehicle should have been equipped with an interlock device.Not a very bright move obviously.I had some rough years, paid a pretty high price and would like to and will move past this.

The statute you cite still only indicate what the state must do, not what a private school or hospital must allow. The state won't bar you obtaining or holding a professional license as long as you meet the criteria, but that doesn't mean any school or private employer can't have a higher standard. I doubt very much that HR at the hospital has anything to do with your school's educational program.

If you had one DUI a very long time ago I would agree that it is unfair. You have had 3. And they were recent. That is a chance not many employers in a field where liability is high and lives of others hang in the balance are going to be willing to take. Your word that you promise not to break the law a 4th time or will only abuse alcohol when driving but not while working isn't going to hold much weight. It is illegal to drive drunk and you have already demonstrated that you are willing to disregard the law repeatedly, so why would the employer or school assume you would behave better when there isn't a law?

cbg. I misread your response, my apologies.There is no statute that forces them accept me.I do believe the "spirit" of the az 13-907 is restorative in nature hence the phrasing "release from civil disabilities".Many upward avenues are "blocked" due to having a felony conviction, even Walmart will not hire you as this is their policy but if the charges are dismissed via 13-907 they can hire you, that is the purpose of the legislation.

The statute you cite still only indicate what the state must do, not what a private school or hospital must allow. The state won't bar you obtaining or holding a professional license as long as you meet the criteria, but that doesn't mean any school or private employer can't have a higher standard. I doubt very much that HR at the hospital has anything to do with your school's educational program.

If you had one DUI a very long time ago I would agree that it is unfair. You have had 3. And they were recent. That is a chance not many employers in a field where liability is high and lives of others hang in the balance are going to be willing to take. Your word that you promise not to break the law a 4th time or will only abuse alcohol when driving but not while working isn't going to hold much weight. It is illegal to drive drunk and you have already demonstrated that you are willing to disregard the law repeatedly, so why would the employer or school assume you would behave better when there isn't a law ?

I agree with your statement but I cannot change the past.I can say I have never been arrested while sober.

No, the purpose of the legislation is to describe how the state must act. Company policy is still company policy and while any given company may align their policy with a given state's rules, they are not required to do so There is only one state which protects criminal background in the private sector and it is not your state. There are consequences to engaging in criminal conduct. No law in any state nor federal requires that the slate be wiped clean or your past misdeeds be overlooked merely because you wish them to be or you have satisfied the penalties imposed by the state.

There are considerable consequences as seen here.My final dui resulted in a 6 month jail term, $4000 fine.An additional fine of $14,495 for jail stay at $80/dayI worked in the kitchen every day while there preparing meals for the inmate population.When the intern aspect of the program starts in 2015 I have 2 dui convictions within a 10 year time span.This would be omitting the dismissed charges.I will plead my case and see, its really all I can do, and see what happens.My plan was to complete the program and relocate to California which is the state I presume you were referring to in your last post.I may have to do the prerequisites here and then apply to a California program if it does not work for me here or consider another program entirely.I picked surg tech because there is no direct patient contact, its a purely assistive role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back