Collecting on a judgement in another state

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyk

I need any help I can get here. I got a judgement against a person for close to $1900 I paid for goods I did not receive. I know there are ways to go about collecting, but the problem is that I am in Virginia and this guy is in Arizona (was in Minnesota at the time).

Is there a way to go through the process of collecting without having to travel to the city where this guy lives and go through that city's court?

Also, he was trading as an LLC. How does this affect the situation?

Thanks

First question: Is your judgment against the individual, the LLC, or both?

Second question: Was your judgment by trial or default? How was the defendant served?

Regarding collectionin a foreign state, there isn't an easy way that I am aware. Typically what must be done is obtain a judgment in the foreign court on your judgment. You might be able to use a form for a "judgment in lieu of complaint" since you merely want the court in AZ to verify that your judgment in VA was obtained validly and that the VA judgment should be enforceable in AZ as a judgment in that state. Not that it's any consolation, but filing for such you can recover the amount of your costs. This sounds like a small claims matter.

You may want to get someone in the state to file it for you or use a filing service. If it's any consolation, I worked on a case where a $450 credit card dispute ended up costing the defendant $4,500 by tacking on legal fees for blowing off the issue and then trying to obfuscate the court's inquiry and subsequent litigation in the defendant's home state.

Originally posted by garyk
I need any help I can get here. I got a judgement against a person for close to $1900 I paid for goods I did not receive. I know there are ways to go about collecting, but the problem is that I am in Virginia and this guy is in Arizona (was in Minnesota at the time).

Is there a way to go through the process of collecting without having to travel to the city where this guy lives and go through that city's court?

Also, he was trading as an LLC. How does this affect the situation?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back