Cohabitation in Oregon

OregonLacie

Jurisdiction
Oregon
My boyfriend moved in with me 6.5 years ago and we still live together. I purchased the house before we met, but he has paid for half of the home improvements and does a lot of the work himself. He pays me $500/month "rent" plus half of our utilities and food expenses. I pay all the bills under my name and he does not help with the property tax payment. If we ever break up, would he be entitled to any money or rights of my home since we have lived together so long?

If we ever break up, would he be entitled to any money or rights of my home since we have lived together so long?

Probably not, which also means maybe so, possibly.

He has no ownership rights in YOUR home, even IF you were to one day marry.

He could plead in court based upon a theory grounded in equity that he has made certain upgrades, performed certain repairs that have a monetary value.

A court sitting in equity (which doesn't apply in all states, I don't know about OR) might decide that he's owed something.

If you believe that is a possibility, you could simply evict him sooner, rather than later.

It seems I'm asked this question regularly, what can he/she/it get if we ever break up?

I then say 50% of marriages fail annually in this country, therefore its safe to assume at least 50% of live in arrangements fail.

My suggestion to those who ask is simply don't allow someone to live in YOUR home if you aren't married to the person.

People who choose to stay involved without being married, have their reasons not to do so.

If a person is cautious in one area, he/she/it should be cautious in all areas of their life.

However, if you wish to live together without being married, the issue of who pays what always comes up.

Some say why not create a contract?

Some respond, why not get married?

I respond, contracts are breached daily.

In summation, if you break up he could just walk away without looking back.
He could go to court claiming YOU owe him $50,000.
If that happens, you defend.
The fact you're asking this question means you might be seeing a looming severance.
Act today to protect yourself, and if you get out of this arrangement, don't do it again!!!

If you're smart enough to acquire property, be smart enough to protect it.

Back