Premises Liability coffee burn

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheahall

Hi I was recently watching a friends child while she worked for a temp agency. I had a cup of coffee sitting on a table in my living room. My daughter told me she was hungry so ai got up to fix her something to eat (my kitchen and living room are joined) the little girl I was watching put her hand in my coffee. I immediately ran towards her but it was to late her little hand quickly started to blister I doctored her up gave her some children's Motrin and called her mother who left work and brought her to the hospital. She has second degree burns does not need skin grafts. Her parents who were my closest friends are very upset with me although they acknowledge it was an accident. Today they called me said they needed my boyfriends homeowners insurance because of the incident. I said domt you mean accident she said no we are calling it an incident now. I asked her why she wanted it she said she was losing her job (she has been working as a temp and her job is up this month and they are in a lot of debt right now because her husband has been through 5 jobs in two months forcing her to work) because of her daughter getting hurt. When I told her no she claimed she would contact an attorney. I have no problem allowing the insurance to pay medical builds (the child is on medicaid) but to give them money its ridiculous. .. do they have a case

I'm not seeing where they are asking you for anything but the insurance information, which you are refusing to give them. Did you leave something out?

They very well may have a "case" if their daughter incurred medical bills while under your care and you are refusing them the insurance information.

She wants to sue the insurance bc she's saying she is losing her job bc of her daughter getting hurt... When in reality her temp job is up this month anyway... we are ok with medical bills that medicaid does not pick up... we just don't want to give them money..

And if they end up getting money can ot be stipulated that the money go into a savings account for the child when she turns 18

She wants to sue the insurance bc she's saying she is losing her job bc of her daughter getting hurt... When in reality her temp job is up this month anyway... we are ok with medical bills that medicaid does not pick up... we just don't want to give them money..

Actually, she will sue YOU.
She can't sue your insurance carrier.
In fact, you don't have to involve your insurer.
Of course, most people do, that's your call.
If you're smart, you inform your insurance company and seek their guidance and advice.
Giving them the name of your insurance company is pretty harmless.
As I said, if she sues anyone, she sues you.
You in turn get your insurer to defend you.

That said, you may NOT be covered on your boyfriend's insurance policy.
In many cases, live in THIS or THAT aren't covered.
If you were compensated for minding the child, the homeowners policy may not be applicable.

Frankly, I don't see that you have much to worry about.
Anyone can file a document, pay a filing and service fee, and presto, whammo; instant lawsuit.

However, each case is different.

Last edited:
I would go ahead & give the ins. information & see if the ins. company might cover the medical bills. Your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back