Business Contracts Co-writer Credit (Musicians Rights)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDean

I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect section to post this, but here is my question...

I'm a musician and my work is starting to really get picked up, I'm about to release an album and am working with one of the best recording studios in the world along with a whole bunch of other prospects. The problem is that one of the songs used on the new album has a co-writer, all the others were written by myself, the co-writer in question has virtually dropped off the face of the earth and is not responding to any means of contact which I've tried to establish with her. I plan to release the song... I am prepared to pay her royalties fair and square but can not come up with any type of agreement due to the fact that she does not respond. What do I do?

If you're smart. You won't use the material.

You open yourself up to a pretty hefty liability, when she suddenly appears and says, "Where's my cut?"

One monkey shouldn't stop your show.

By the way, if you were working with a good studio, they'd have told you not to use material you don't own or have a release to use. Of course, BMI or ASCAP songs are self explanatory.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice... but don't aren't my rights to song just as substantial as hers? I wrote about 95% of the song and her contribution was minimal at least. I have a clear recorded record of her contributions to the song. Is there any way around this? What are my own rights as the predominant songwriter?

Thank you for your advice... but don't aren't my rights to song just as substantial as hers? I wrote about 95% of the song and her contribution was minimal at least. I have a clear recorded record of her contributions to the song. Is there any way around this? What are my own rights as the predominant songwriter?

I don't know who would have superior rights, if that term even applies.

I suggest you speak with the studio's attorney.

They know how to address these situations.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back