Co-trustee claims last minute trustee fee

mcjensen

Jurisdiction
Florida
In an article, "What Is a Reasonable Trustee's Fee?" it was concluded that, "Therefore, any compensation to be paid to a trustee must be contained within trust accountings, unless waived by all interested parties. "

Question:
Does this also pertain to trustee fees as well? That trustee fees to be paid (to the co-trustee) must be contained within trust accountings, unless waived by all interested parties. "

The co-trustee for my father's estate decided at the last minute to deduct $100,000 from the final distribution to the beneficaries, for her trustee fee. Is this allowed?

Is there any cases that you can refer me to, that point this out?

Thanks Mark

Is this allowed?

If it happened and you disagree, your recourse is to retain an attorney to litigate the matter, if necessary.

Is there any cases that you can refer me to, that point this out?

I could waste my time and yours citing 1,000 settled cases on point, but that won't convince a scammer, cheater, flim flammer, bamboozler, or grifter to return the $100K that you claim to have have been misappropriated.

What will?

The only legal way to resolve disputes is by taking the matter to court.

Talking only tends to embolden flim flammers and bamboozlers.

For what it's worth, I went through the whole ordeal with my grandfather passing who had a living trust. My aunt was the trustee and she paid herself $2,000 a year plus every month another $200 to separate his medications into little containers to be taken every day. $100,000 sure seems like one hell of a bonus for his/her added efforts, but who knows. Relatives turn into vultures and crooks when lots of money is involved, so good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, I went through the whole ordeal with my grandfather passing who had a living trust. My aunt was the trustee and she paid herself $2,000 a year plus every month another $200 to separate his medications into little containers to be taken every day. $100,000 sure seems like one hell of a bonus for his/her added efforts, but who knows. Relatives turn into vultures and crooks when lots of money is involved, so good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
$266.67 a month isn't really out of line.

In an article, "What Is a Reasonable Trustee's Fee?" it was concluded that, "Therefore, any compensation to be paid to a trustee must be contained within trust accountings, unless waived by all interested parties. "

Maybe this goes without saying, but articles are not law.

Does this also pertain to trustee fees as well?

We have no way of knowing since you didn't cite or link to the article, but what do you think the difference might be between "trustee fees" and "compensation . . . paid to a trustee"?

The co-trustee for my father's estate decided at the last minute to deduct $100,000 from the final distribution to the beneficaries, for her trustee fee. Is this allowed?

There's no such thing as a trustee of an estate, so are you talking about the trustee of a trust or the executor/administrator of an estate? Regardless, we have no way of assessing the propriety of what the trustee/executor/administrator is doing in connection with a trust/estate that we know absolutely nothing about.

I strongly suggest you confer with a local trust/estate attorney.

Back