Co-Sponsor Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT901

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I am hoping someone can help me understand options with this scenario. I have a friend who is a US Citizen and has been living overseas for some time now where he also recently got married. He has recently come back to the US for a job and at this job he makes more than enough to meet the minimum requirements to sponsor his wife. That said, because he was overseas he didn't make any income in the US and when he has filed taxes it shows no income in prior years. He has asked me to co-sponsor his wife which obviously is a big risk for me (at least how I understand it). His wife does have assets in her home country (multiple properties, etc) and she doesn't appear to be much of a financial risk.

Is the only option for me to co-sponsor or can he use his current employment (offer letter, pay stub, etc.) as financial proof even though he does not have 3 years of income?

How risky is this for me if I do it? He is stating the responsibility for any payments would fall to him first. I don't see her going on public assistance, but what if she ended up at the emergency room from an accident or something of that nature?

Can I draft any sort of legal agreement between myself and my friend that relieves any of the risk associated with sponsorship?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

He has asked me to co-sponsor his wife which obviously is a big risk for me (at least how I understand it).

This isn't an issue.

This is something very easy to resolve.

He wants YOU to be on the hook for his wife.

All you need to say is: "I'm very sorry, my friend. I can only be responsible for my family and my debts. I wish I could help you financially, but the risk in this matter is much too great for me to assume."

How risky is this for me if I do it? He is stating the responsibility for any payments would fall to him first. I don't see her going on public assistance, but what if she ended up at the emergency room from an accident or something of that nature?

If someone asked me what he asked you, I wouldn't need more than 2 seconds to respond, "Sorry, that is the woman you married. She's your wife, not mine. I won't become involved financially for you or your wife."

Can I draft any sort of legal agreement between myself and my friend that relieves any of the risk associated with sponsorship?

You can write almost anything your mind can conceive.

However, the party coming after either of you would be an entity of the US Government. You don't need another government agency confiscating ANY of your hard earned money, do you???

As a former first lady once said, "Just say no!"

I have a friend

I am sure that your friend is quite capable of calling up the USCIS and asking about his options.

Here is the contact page of the USCIS website.

Contact Us | USCIS

If someone asked me what he asked you, I wouldn't need more than 2 seconds to respond, "Sorry, that is the woman you married. She's your wife, not mine. I won't become involved financially for you or your wife."

Yeah, that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back