Clinical Psychologist harrassed by ex patient via email

EAKPSYD

Jurisdiction
New York
I need help stopping an ex-psychotherapy patient from sending hostile, accusatory emails to me each day. He left treatment during a period of generalized paranoid anxiety, first about life issues, but this quickly shifted to ME as the problem. He now sends insults and complaints about our work, my character, my expertise, and my reputation daily. His comments are increasingly insulting and threatening--such as telling me he will ruin my reputation, etc.--by "reporting" me. ( I have consulted my malpractice co. and they tell me he has no legal case.) BUT His emails are increasing in quantity, as are his threats to expose me to professional orgs, etc ( and he has Cc'd the colleague who referred him to me initially)--What to do?!?

Last edited:
Contact the police (first) and apply for an order of protection (second).

I need help stopping an ex-psychotherapy patient from sending hostile, accusatory emails to me each day. He left treatment during a period of generalized paranoid anxiety, first about life issues, but this quickly shifted to ME as the problem. He now sends insults and complaints about our work, my character, my expertise, and my reputation daily. His comments are increasingly insulting and threatening--such as telling me he will ruin my reputation, etc.--by "reporting" me. ( I have consulted my malpractice co. and they tell me he has no legal case.) BUT His emails are increasing in quantity, as are his threats to expose me to professional orgs, etc ( and he has Cc'd the colleague who referred him to me initially)--What to do?!?

Do as Zig suggests. Frankly it is a bit ...surprising to me that you would seek advice from random people on the internet rather than calling the police.

I need help stopping an ex-psychotherapy patient from sending hostile, accusatory emails to me each day.

Have you considered BLOCKING (and/or DELETING) ALL emails received from parties you don't wish to read?

As my grandfather would often tell me as a small boy, "Son, its often easier to IGNORE idiots than it is to engage them."

I need help stopping an ex-psychotherapy patient from sending hostile, accusatory emails to me each day.

There is no way to stop them from being sent. The cops can warn him. They might even arrest him, but he can still send them. Even if a court issues a restraining order, he can still send them. You can, however, stop them from being received. Discuss this with whomever handles your IT and/or your internet service provider.

Back