Class A Misdemeanor Theft--Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkur

State--Texas
I was fired for theft (employee/retail), arrested by local PD, fingerprinted....

I hired a lawyer....and they told me was that if i did community service they would not pursue the case....So as far as I know i never plead guilty/not guilty or anything.....as far as they told me

Here is my question
They said if i paid 1500.00 dollars I could get it expunged, however ive heard different things about Texas and expungtion----should i do it?

I have been hired by the UT system so I dont know what exactly is on my record

Who are "they"? Did you ever go to court?

The folloiwing is geberal information about expungement in Texas and is not legal advice:
Expungement
In Texas, under some circumstances, you may be able to have a criminal record expunged, which means that the records are returned to you or destroyed.

You may be eligible for expungement if:

A criminal charge against you has been dismissed, you have been found not guilty, or you have been pardoned; or
Someone used your name or identification when arrested (identity theft); or
You are a juvenile who has completed a deferred sentence; or
You are an underage drinking first offender.
If you are eligible to have your records expunged, you may file a petition in court. A person who has reached age 17 must make a sworn written request to have juvenile records expunged.

In addition, if you have received a discharge and dismissal from deferred adjudication community supervision (an alternative sentencing program in Texas), you may petition the court for a nondisclosure order following dismissal for some misdemeanors, five years after dismissal for other misdemeanors, or 10 years after dismissal for felonies. A nondisclosure order prohibits criminal justice agencies from disclosing criminal history information to the public.

Motor vehicle records cannot be expunged.

"They" is my law firm.

I never went to court

After I hired them (lawyer), they started their work.....and a couple of weeks later they told me if i did community service the charges would not be persued....so I gave them a letter of recommendation type thing saying I did the hours.

They (laywers) then told me about the expungment but I started reading up on it and saw some sites that said in Texas your record could not fully be expunged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back