Claim amount offered for property damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimberinTN

My wife was involved in an accident on 6/9/09. She was on a motorcycle and a Chevy Tahoe came accross the highway and hit her. It was not at an intersection. I am afriad the other drivers insurance company is not going to provide an acceptable amount for what it will cost me to replace the bike. It is considered a total loss. The party that hit my wife was cited for failure to yeild in the accident. I have heard horror stories in the state about people being in accidents caused by other people, and having to take less than what they owed on a vehicle. I do not know if it is because the they just dont fight it, or if they just dont have a choice but to accept.
In the state of TN, do I have the option of bringing suit against the other parties insurance company to try to get the amount it will take to replace my highly customized bike? Or is the law on the side of the insurance company? My wife was injured in the accident as well, but I understand the medical portion is seperate. I have done a lot of legwork, including checking with 36 different dealers in 5 surrounding states to find out what it would cost me to buy a bike the same year and model as mine, and then put all the chrome and extras on it that the bike had. It was in excellent condition at the time of the wreck. It was only 4.5 years old. I have presented this information to the insurance company for review, to try and give them an opportunity to make an acceptable offer. But if they dont, and I really dont expect that they will, what options do I have, if any?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back