Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Civil Demand Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohawken18

Was caught shoplifting, received a civil demand letter from the store asking that I pay $100 in restitution. From what I've read is that usually stores don't file lawsuits even if you don't pay, because they aren't cost effective. In my case, how likely is it that the store will file a civil lawsuit if I don't pay the $100. Would it just be advisable to pay off the $100 (I've read it can be higher anywhere from $100-300) to eliminate the risk?

I had previously gone in to see a lawyer for a consultation, and he said that if I don't pay and they file a lawsuit, they'd win because they have more than enough evidence to convict me (seeing that I actually got caught)

Any suggestions? Money is tight. But I can come up with $100 if I need to. Would just rather use the $100 to pay for something more useful.

Last edited:
Was caught shoplifting, received a civil demand letter from the store asking that I pay $100 in restitution. From what I've read is that usually stores don't file lawsuits even if you don't pay, because they aren't cost effective. In my case, how likely is it that the store will file a civil lawsuit if I don't pay the $100. Would it just be advisable to pay off the $100 (I've read it can be higher anywhere from $100-300) to eliminate the risk?

I had previously gone in to see a lawyer for a consultation, and he said that if I don't pay and they file a lawsuit, they'd win because they have more than enough evidence to convict me (seeing that I actually got caught)

Any suggestions? Money is tight. But I can come up with $100 if I need to. Would just rather use the $100 to pay for something more useful.

This has been discussed ad infinitum on this forum and elsewhere.
You can search this forum and read those previous discussions.
Ultimately the choice is yours.
I'm closing and locking this thread because this discussion ALWAYS generates hostile, contentious debate.
Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back