Child support

MelindaBuchanan7

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I really need some advice? I'am married but was seperated at the time and i got pregnant with another man's baby! My husband said he wanted to try and work things out but is not acting like it and I just dont think it's going to but told me if i tried to leave he would get me for adultery and take the kids that we have together away from me? He also threatened the baby i just had father and he told me that he wants nothing to do with her and there is no possible way that she's his? Also my husband said if I took my babies father for child support that it would be a mistake because him and his parents would take her away from me! I don't think that me and my husband can work things out because there is just to much going on and I feel like my babies father should be just as responsible as me and help me take care of her but can I file child support if i still married and my husband has taken a DNA test (a private one ) and already knows he's not her father! Please help?

You need the help of social services and a divorce attorney. You have a mess on your hands and it seems to be much more than you will be able to handle on your own.

That's what i was afraid of!

If you're married and get pregnant by some other dude, LEGALLY that baby is your husband's baby.

However, your marriage is probably dead.

If the other man is the daddy, a DNA test will get to the truth of the matter.

I suggest you speak with a couple lawyers about a divorce.

You'll also need to move out, ASAP.

The lawyer will see to it that your soon to be former husband pays some support money, and pays for your lawyer.

Talk to a couple today, get the ball rolling.

Things will never improve for the reasons you stated.

If you're married and get pregnant by some other dude, LEGALLY that baby is your husband's baby.

However, your marriage is probably dead.

If the other man is the daddy, a DNA test will get to the truth of the matter.

I suggest you speak with a couple lawyers about a divorce.

You'll also need to move out, ASAP.

The lawyer will see to it that your soon to be former husband pays some support money, and pays for your lawyer.

Talk to a couple today, get the ball rolling.

Things will never improve for the reasons you stated.
Thank you!

My husband said he wanted to try and work things out but is not acting like it and I just dont think it's going to but told me if i tried to leave he would get me for adultery and take the kids that we have together away from me?

Despite your use of a question mark, this sentence is not a question. If you intended it to be a question, I cannot discern what you intended to ask, but here's a question for you: What does "get me for adultery" mean?

My guess is that you don't know what he meant by it. It certainly is the case that adultery is a ground for divorce in Tennessee, but it sounds like you're headed for divorce anyway. It sounds like your husband thinks that obtaining a divorce on the ground of adultery would mean he'd automatically get sole or primary custody of your children. That's just silly. I can't tell if the child that is supposedly the product of your adulterous relationship has been born yet. If it has been born -- or when it is born -- one of you will need to take steps to ensure that your husband is not presumed to be the father of that child. By the way, it's possible that your separation negates the adultery.

I feel like my babies father should be just as responsible as me and help me take care of her

Do you mean "baby's father" (i.e., the father of the bastard child)? Or do you mean "babies' fathers" (as in your husband and the bastard child's father)? And yes, I know that bastardy is no longer a meaningful concept in the law, but it's an easy way of distinguishing one child from the rest of the brood. In any event, who ever gets primary physical custody of your children will be entitled to child support from the non-custodial parent(s).

can I file child support if i still married and my husband has taken a DNA test (a private one ) and already knows he's not her father!

You will have to file to establish the other man's paternity and rebut the legal presumption that your husband is the father of the bastard. Once that has been done, you and the bastard's father can fight with each other about custody and child support.

Time to find a local divorce attorney.

I really need some advice? I'am married but was seperated at the time and i got pregnant with another man's baby! My husband said he wanted to try and work things out but is not acting like it and I just dont think it's going to but told me if i tried to leave he would get me for adultery and take the kids that we have together away from me? He also threatened the baby i just had father and he told me that he wants nothing to do with her and there is no possible way that she's his? Also my husband said if I took my babies father for child support that it would be a mistake because him and his parents would take her away from me! I don't think that me and my husband can work things out because there is just to much going on and I feel like my babies father should be just as responsible as me and help me take care of her but can I file child support if i still married and my husband has taken a DNA test (a private one ) and already knows he's not her father! Please help?

Get you for adultery? I found this in a quick Google search on Tennessee: "You don't have to prove marital misconduct to receive a divorce in Tennessee; the state offers the no-fault ground of irreconcilable differences. However, its statutes require that you and your spouse live apart for two years before you qualify for a no-fault divorce. Fault grounds don't share the same restriction, which can make them an attractive option if your spouse has done something to end the marriage, such as committing adultery."

So it depends on what type of divorce gets filed. I don't think he can get custody just because you had an affair. Also - legally he's the father of your newest baby. Some states paternity can be contested. If you divorce he could possibly do that. But if the other man somehow legally is established as the father he could file for custody but there's no guarantee he'd get it. He would get a child support order.

You need to talk to a lawyer - asap.

Back