1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

child support

Discussion in 'Alimony & Spousal Support' started by inneedofadvice3, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Wechsler

    Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    I think that people would like to help but this one is out of anyone's hands legally and more about how you maneuver. From what you write, it seems that the ex is always about asking for money (what a surprise.) Oddly enough, she gets pregnant after her relationship due to a chance encounter (that should get you thinking, IMHO.) The only thing I'm guessing she understands is the stopping of the flow of money.

    To begin, your fiancee/bf would need to get a lawyer in NY since the case is in NY. You can't just file for a child support modification in your state because it's convenient. Second, I don't know how much is being paid and how much of a difference you are talking about. The fact that you've decided to have a child does not in any way diminish your boyfriend's responsibilities, unfortunately.

    My guess is that the most effective way to deal the ex is that, if she is receiving assistance she should not be receiving, the potential for her to lose such assistance might be the best way to come to a fair settlement - assuming the current settlement is unfair or in excess of what is adequate for your bf's daughter. It's a tough situation and don't envy the position you're in but it's one that you believe is for the best and good luck to the both of you.
    inneedofadvice3 likes this.

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.