child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

itdkmwigt

Jurisdiction is: Virginia (I have read if you reside for more than 6 months)

I live in New York, my EXgirlfriend lives in Virginia with (our) my son for 11 months.

She wants to have sole physical custody on (our) my son with me having visitation.
Also she wants to have joint legal custody.

Basically we are discussing the visitation times for me (and writing them into a document).
When this is complete we are going to a lawyer then the court to have it legalized.

My questions are the following

What does sole physical custody mean?

Yes I read what the definition is but why does she want this so badly?

Do you get more child support if you have sole physical custody?

How do you determine child support?

Can we determine what the child support can be? (because we are discussing everything else)

Thank You

Sole basicically means mom can make most decisions for the child without consulting you. Yoiu still have rights though. Sole does not mean more child support. So did she move to Virginia? If she did then she should help out with transportation. You really should file everything through the courts so it can be a court binding agreement. Child support is generally based on both parents incomes. If you 2 can agree on an amount outside of guidelines then that might be acceptable. You should google Virgina child support guidelines and see if you can find a child support state calculator as all states are different. How old is the child? you generally are entitled to unsupervised visits. You need to work out who is going to do drop offs and picks up for the child. How far apart do you live?

If you do pay her child support directly, make sure it is by check so there is a paper trail and you right child support for the month on it. Cover yourself so she cannot take you back to court and claim you have not paid her.

I really hope you 2 can work everything out and be civil.

In visitationb you need to be specific. Work out weekends and holidays, birthdays, fathers day, mothers day, etc.. Go through a calandar and make sure all special occasions are covered.

Mom automatically gets to claim the child if she has custody but does she work? If she does not work for whatever reason you should go to court and ask for the tax exemption.

Alot of courts offer mediation. If you 2 can work something out through the courts and get everything signed by a judge you are much better off. I would also be sure that momn does not move away with the child. Sole does not mean she can do this and you might want to put a geographic restriction in the papers or put in there she must have your permissionb to move any furhter distance away from you. If she wants sole so badly I am wondering if she intends on moving somewhere.

Also has paternity been established? Did you sign the birth paperwork?

Good luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back