Child support relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

harley1102

I currently lost a contempt case for missing a month and a half of child support and had to pay ex's legal fees as well. I was only able to become current in arrears by securing loans. I am now in further financial duress and in danger of having my home foreclosed. The hearing officer at the contempt hearing(for which I had no representation) did not have any concern with my financial situation. Is there any way to get some type of relief or reduction so I can survive? My current wife has been without a job for 7 months and we have an infant girl to protect as well. Please help, I cannot afford an attorney.

Have you lost your job? Normally a court will reduce your CS at least temporarily if you do not have a job. You however cannot just stop paying CS because of other bills which I suspect has what happened.

As far as your financial situation, the courts do not care if you have debt or other bills. CS is based on both parents incomes. Have you googled the states child support guildelines? What state are you in? Since you were ordered to pay the other party's legal fees something tells me you are still employed and you just chose not to pay your CS. Your wife needs to seek some employment then outside of the hours you work, or babysit. You cannot stop supporting one family to support another.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back