Child Support Help in Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen24

I've been divorced for two years now. My ex-husband was supposed to begin child-support payments in May of 2008. To date, he's made only a handful of weekly payments and owes quite a substantial amount of money. I opened a case several months ago and it has gone into the "enforcement" stage. My ex was ordered to appear in court for a hearing on 01/28/2010, but he failed to show. I check the website with my case updates regularly and the latest update says "notice of continuance to clerk for filing". He currently does not have a job, and he told me that he hired an attorney to represent him for the hearing that he failed to show up to. I should mention now that his father is a State Senator. He has been making payments of $6 a week or less for the past few weeks. I am worried he is never going to be held accountable for the child support he owes. I greatly appreciate help from anybody who can tell me what is going on and if it is possible for him to get out of this. Thanks in advance,

-J

At this point, it's probably best that you let CSE do their thing and try to enforce. He's honestly not that far behind (believe me, I've seen cases in excess of $200k in arrears...) - keep calling CSE, keep letting them know that you're eager to see resolution.

Thanks for your quick reply! I'll keep regular contact with CSE like you suggest; really I suppose I'm just feeling frustrated with the way my child's father seems able to dodge any sort of payment. I worry that his dad will pull strings and he will never have to make any payments or worry about hearings (only because I've seen him get out of some sticky situations before). I'm looking for any kind of reassurance that that won't or can't happen in this instance.

$200k though....good golly! I guess my situation isn't so bad in comparison. :)

If he is a state senator then why can't you garnish his wages? The media would have a field day knowing he is a deadbeat. I would go public with this.

Duranie said:
If he is a state senator then why can't you garnish his wages? The media would have a field day knowing he is a deadbeat. I would go public with this.
He isn't a state senator, his dad is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can be your last cent Senator John Edwards' connections ain't stopping him from paying child support...

Duranie, yes, Army Judge is correct, it's his father who is a State Senator. As tempting as it is to go public, I don't think that would be in the best interest of my child :)

Proserpina, it is nice hearing assurance that he won't be able to dodge cs payments. I guess I'm just a bit jaded from past experiences where his father got involved. All I want is for him to pay what he owes his son; I wish it didn't involve hearings or him hiring fancy lawyers or any such nonsense.

Ok I was confused, I thought she meant baby daddy was a state senator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back