Child Support/He WORKS OFF BOOKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxzie00

New York Question regarding Child Support and how they would figure out what my children are entitled to. Soon to be ex-husband only claims so much on the books and it would come out to $150 a week for 2 kids $$600 monthly. I know he makes much more since I am not working now (daughter is home schooled entire year had operation in Nov) and our rent is $2000 and if you add up bills and food etc its about $4500 a month. He also owned a business (opened Sept 2007) with 2 other people has (still uses to pay my bills, rent etc) business Bank Account with a tax ID #. Sometime this year the business was switched out of his name due to our divorce but he still has proof of owning it since he is using the account... just wondering do I have any rights and how can this be solved in court? Will I get stuck with the $150 a week because I am using a public attorney since he has all the money and I can't afford an attorney? My daughter has been home schooled this year and it was fine I stayed home with her at first but now that she has 3 weeks to go he keeps telling me get a job... He also said he has a girlfrend. This past 4 months he has not paid any of my bills and I don't have a phone its shut off and the electric will be shut next and can't forget about the repo man coming for the car.... wonder if he did this on purpose so he could try and prove he dont have enough money to pay anymore... lol but he bought a new car under someone elses name and has over 100 pairs of sneakers at 100-150 a pop. He dont pay rent lives with a family member and hes fine with that so he saves money there. I think its just not fair since we own nothing. I was with him when we were poor and once he started making money he wants out. I feel he thinks having a family is what held him back from owning anything but these are your kids too and he needs to pay. Thanks

My advice would be to consider using a private service like Supportkids.com. or one of your choosing. There are private child support collection agencies and they seem to be more diligent in finding and recovering support. Fee is usually taken out of first support check issued. They know all the tricks a non custodial parent can use to hide monies and they have the motivation and time to investigate and recover resources that are legally due to custodial parent. Good Luck, I too went through this 'working off the books income' with my ex.

I suggest you see an attorney. Support kids usually does not help get orders established, they assist on collecting on arrearages. The fact he works off the books is an issue. You are most certainly going to have to get some sort of job though. You cannot expect to live off of CS alone, and most states will figure in an income for you anyways.

I had the same problem with my ex and used Supportkids.com. Their fees are high and my ex is self employed. They weren't much help and since I used them and they said he only had to pay $301.00 a month for two children, he stopped helping me pay for their insurance 4 years ago. I advise you to get an attorney. Plead your case and maybe you'll find one that will work with you on the fees. That is what I'm working on now myself. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back