Child Support Arrearage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheeba87

In 2004 after trying to get custody of my daughter (I was denied because I lived in a different state at the time) my mother ended up getting custody. In 2006, I moved back to AL and in 2007 my mother decided to take me to court to get child support. Court kept getting put of for one reason or another and I didn't actually go to court for the first time until Nov. 08. It was ordered that I pay current child support of $146 a month and back child support of $54 a month (when court was over, my attorney informed me that I owed almost $13,000 in arrearages). I am currently disabled and unable too work (I got hurt on the job in Jan. 07 and am still under doctors care, so my only income is Workers Compensation). I know have a different attorney, and am trying to fight the arrearages (they are charging me over $125 a month in interest). If no order was ever established when my mother got custody, how can they be going back from when she got custody?

If no order was ever established when my mother got custody, how can they be going back from when she got custody?

Because the kids needed support.

If she has custody then it is possible she can go back for support at that time. Have you applied for disability? Whoever has custody will receive a benefit plus likely back benefits.

In 2004 after trying to get custody of my daughter (I was denied because I lived in a different state at the time) my mother ended up getting custody. In 2006, I moved back to AL and in 2007 my mother decided to take me to court to get child support. Court kept getting put of for one reason or another and I didn't actually go to court for the first time until Nov. 08. It was ordered that I pay current child support of $146 a month and back child support of $54 a month (when court was over, my attorney informed me that I owed almost $13,000 in arrearages). I am currently disabled and unable too work (I got hurt on the job in Jan. 07 and am still under doctors care, so my only income is Workers Compensation). I know have a different attorney, and am trying to fight the arrearages (they are charging me over $125 a month in interest). If no order was ever established when my mother got custody, how can they be going back from when she got custody?
GeT OVER IT you have never had to provide for a child obviously becuase that hardly touches just the basics and besides Mom raised you already be glad the kid is in good hands! Hope you start working alittle more at being grateful for change and quit the whinin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back