child support arreages

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominicmongelli

Hello out there:
My name is Dominic and this is new to me, in fact my first in posting a message --ever. My question is that since last year I 've been having difficulty holding a job that pays well---in fact ever since Cititgroup left Long Island, I've been struggling financailly. I was divorced back ion 2003 and since re-married and have a new family with my present wife.
My ex-wife since the divorce has been extremely difficulty to reason with concerning our 7 year old daughter that we had together.
Now, especially since my inconme has been reduced she has been on a warpath about the past due amounts I owe and also the present payments that are due. Since the divorce I've alaways paid my child support, butnow I owe about $2800.00, I've been trying to give what I can but everything I try to do in way of money is not good for her. I don't want my wages garnished--I work for a very small company and every one will know--some people have said to go to court in New York State and get the child support reduced, but I dont know exactly what to do? Do I directly to the Clerk's office and ask for some kind of paperwork? Do I bring anything else with me? The clerk's office keeps saying that they can't offer advice-even on the proper things to bring with me.
I've worked my whole and I never thought----forget it. If there is anyone out there that offer anyone kind of practical advice I 'm all ears.
Thank you
dominic

Dominic-

The County Clerks are able to tell you what forms you will need for a Support Modification. I'm from NY state myself, and whenever you have a change in your income, you may file for a Support Modification, especially if your wages are lower than when you got the judgement.
Usually the instructions for the form will tell you exactly what you need to bring with you to court, but you can also look on the county clerks website, or the family court office for more information.

I'm not a Lawyer, but have been through this, so I hope it helps you!
-Jilted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back