Child suppor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloukir1

I'm a 50+ year old grandmother and my husband and I take care of my 13 year old grandchild. Her father has been out of the picture for pretty much her whole life. He came to visit her one day when she was 7 and that was for a paternity test. My daughter ( the mother of my grandchild) is 34 and had abandoned her child when she. Was 9. She currently is married to a man and is living in ga. She keeps in touch with us and every month she sends a maximum of $150. Which isn't much for a growing teenager. My daughter refuses to go after my granddaughters biological father for child support so I was wondering is there any way we ( my husband and I ) can get child support from my daughter and / or my granddaughters father?

File for custody, and then child support from BOTH parents if you need to.

Please get an attorney on board though - even though you've had your grandchild all this time, you don't want to make a mistake.

Usually when we see grandparent or third party cases, the grandparent ends up gravely disappointed. But in this case? I wish you all the luck in the world and I thank you for stepping in and raising your grandchild. You're the only parents your grandchild really knows. So yes - talk with an attorney and discuss custody.

Agree that usually the grandparent(s) don't get custody of the child. However, you "might" in this case. Definitely talk to a family law attorney as suggested. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back