Child Molestation-Statute of Limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

noga48

In 1999 my then 10 year old daughter was sexually molested by my husband, her stepfather. We reported it to Child Protective Services and he was temporarily removed from the home while we all attended therapy. She was too frightened and embarrassed to go to the police. One year later she and I moved out of state and then reported the incident to the police in that jurisdiction. Since my ex was a Corrections Officer, the case was covered up even though there is a confession by him to Child Protective Services. The District Attorney's Office refused to press charges or arrest him. She was harrassed by the investigating State Trooper and became fearful of testifying in court.

Now, she is 16 years old and wants to address the issue again and maybe file a civil suit against him and the District Attorney office for failing to prosecute.

How does the Statute of Limitations affect her case at this time? I understand that the statute of limitations is tolled until it is either reported to the police or child agency or when she becomes 18, but we had reported it to the police at the time. There is a confession documented by the Child Protective Agency.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back