1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

child custody

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by lilmadam, Dec 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilmadam

lilmadam Law Topic Starter New Member

I have been with my domestic partner for almost 9 years. We got into domestic partnership in 2009 we are seperated now. She keeps threatening me she is going ro take my two year old son from me if i leave her. She is listed as the father on his birth certficate but she is never home with him. She doesnt financially support him nor buy him anything. I was told by police that she only has rights if she filed for an adoption. She never signed any legal documents as his parent. If i were to move with my family could she get me for kidnap??

2. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

3. disagreeable

disagreeable Well-Known Member

There is a theory of law called In Loco Parentis. Even if the birth certificate were thrown out she could have rights up to and including full custody. If you are planning on moving you need to have a parenting plan filed with the local court and permission to leave at the least.