Child custody gone wrong? please help Bakersfield, California

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsdave

Hello I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong spot if you suggest I post in a different spot for a more precise answer, I will copy and paste the post. I am using my mothers name to post here and my friend has a problem.

But long story short it invovles someone having custody of their grandchild and the grandmother has a drinking problem and also is starting to abuse the child.

This is as accurate as I can be with the information given to me, any response to this post need only to ask and I will try to gain more information. Thanks for reading.

I have a friend who is 17 years old and had her parents pass away when she was 7 years old. Her Grandparents spent a lot of money for custody.

I am uncertain as to how custody works but you can compare this to a Disney movie in which the grandmother treats her grandchild very cruelly. I understand there are no wrongdoings in how to raise a child with strict punishments but there are two HUGE problems that have been going on for a while.

She recently has told me her grandmother has a drinking problem, and she is drunk almost all of the time. She actually has had this drinking problem for a long period of time. When I talked to her I explained she needs to try and convince her grandma to change, however she was only rudely cut off and also was struck and it feels as every other drunks only concern is the next drink. I then suggested her telling her close friend about the drinking problem. She did but what happens next is very upsetting.

Her grandmom found out she told her friend about her "drinking problem" and immediately took away a lot of her privleges. The next day at school her friend told me that she had very nasty marks on her body.

I believe my friend, Tatyana, is associated with the old adage a rock and a hard place. She is worried about telling anybody because of the possibility of being shipped away to a foster home.

I am writing this very unknowing of custody rights, and what they must do in order to fulfill succesful parenting.

Her birthday is 9-25-90 so she has another full year in order to not be a minor anymore. She is worried also about proceeding to courts because her future might be amuck at her high school. But something needs to be done as she does not feel comfortable and safe living at home.

Please provide options and consequences as to what my friend can do in regards to the law. I understand this will not be an official wording as not enough details may be descripted, but I am looking for what alternatives she can have. She has lost privleges of a cell phone and internet, so it is hard for her to communicate with her but I do speak with her friend a lot. Other details I know are she is an only child, and she does not have a big family. I believe her grandparents may be her only family.

I understand cases like this can happen all the time and I know this site will be familiar to my scenario so I appreciate any and all feedback as what she can do .

Please write back as soon as possible with what I should do because I am hurting inside that my friend is going through this and isnt sure if reporting her grandmoms problems is the right thing to do.

Thanks and happy holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back