Child Care facility duties

A few observations having read through the thread:

• A law student may not legally represent a client. Only an admitted attorney may do that.
  • If you, a law student, are "representing" this person as part of your enrollment in legal clinic offered by the school and are under the supervision of an admitted attorney, then you're ok.
  • If the above comments about working under the supervision of a lawyer are not applicable, then you are putting into jeopardy your ability to be admitted once you've graduated. You're also committing a crime - one which you have admitted to in a public forum.
  • As far as the snarky comment about asking the school to refund your tuition, that's ridiculous. No law student is going to know the ins and outs of this.
  • Courts can enter just about any order and may legally do so to the extent warranted by existing law and evidence.
  • In a family law case to which the only parties are the parents, the court has no jurisdiction to order anyone other than the parents to do anything...unless
  • The court may acquire jurisdiction over a non-party under various circumstances.
  • A procedural device may exist for bringing the daycare center ("it," not "they") under the court's jurisdiction. If you're working under the supervision of an attorney, you should speak with him/her about whether such a mechanism exists Again, not something a law student would know about.

One thing that has not been addressed is that the reason why the party wants the information from the daycare actually matters. If the reason is "it's my child, and they have to tell me everything I want to know whenever I want to know it" then you may get less cooperation from a judge than in other circumstances. Particularly if the daycare is being pressed for information that is normally outside of their scope.

And, as everyone else has said, you should not be providing legal representation outside of a supervised program through your school.

You are not humorous and I apologize but have crossed to being rude. When were you in law school? None of this is learned, its all experience, which is why I am seeking advice from more experienced attorneys. Not to get too personal, but its that kind of an attitude that blemishes our proffession. I am trying to help someone in a desparate situation. If you can help, please do so, otherwise just dont reply. Have a great day!

Read the disclaimer at the bottom - here I'll post it for you: Legal Disclaimer: The content appearing on our website is for general information purposes only. When you submit a question or make a comment on our site or in our law forum, you clearly imply that you are interested in receiving answers, opinions and responses from other people. The people providing legal help and who respond are volunteers who may not be lawyers, legal professionals or have any legal training or experience. The law is also subject to change from time to time and legal statutes and regulations vary between states. It is possible that the law may not apply to you and may have changed from the time a post was made. All information available on our site is available on an "AS-IS" basis. It is not a substitute for professional legal assistance. Before making any decision or accepting any legal advice, you should have a proper legal consultation with a licensed attorney with whom you have an attorney-client privilege. For purposes of New York and New Jersey State ethics rules, please take notice that this website and its case reviews may constitute attorney advertising.

There is a mixture of lawyers and non-lawyers on this site. Also no one can give you legal advice if they are a lawyer. If you're a law student, why not bring it up to your professors? If I was in law school, I definitely wouldn't go to random legal forums. I'd go seek out those who I know are lawyers like my professors or a mentor or anywhere else.

Everyone else is pretty spot on with their comments. It might seem rude but it's just honesty.

I understand that. Its all taken with a grain of salt, not as gospel. I ask, and hopefully I get opinions and continue with my own research. Which is why I initially asked for the basis in law for his opinion. Zinger and yourself have many posts and many likes. I dont imagine you all got there by giving bad advice etc....and if we actually were participating in a civil, educational discussion, then I would ultimately find out the deeper analysis. Again, this is no different then asking experienced attorneys, if that is what you all are. This is a free site and if you donate your time to others, please do so respectfully. I have contacted many attorneys in my area, looking for mentors etc., but all are too busy. So i end up here to try another route.

It is 100% different than asking actual attorneys because they are LICENSED attorneys and many people on here are not. Even if someone licensed is posting, they still can't give legal advice.

Back