Child Abuse

Jurisdiction
Alabama
I am a CPS Social Worker in NV and prior to working in NV, I worked in Fl. I have a client who fought for 2.5 years to get her children from AL to NV after her x-husband went to prison. He had custody of the children due to her failure to attend a Custody hearing (advised by her attorney that she didn't need to attend due to the distance), she lost custody by default. He eventually goes to prison (crooked cop) and DHR knows of mother's whereabouts. Instead of moving the children quickly they made her jump threw two years of hoops. She finally gets the children on an ICPC (Interstate Compact) and the family is supervised for 5 months. The family goes on a mini-vacation and mother is upset with the children for their misbehavior (acting wild in a rented condo) and grabs a belt and starts flailing the belt. She strikes the children randomly while using a few cuss words. Boyfriend records the incident and calls the law. She is arrested for 4 counts of child abuse. (NV, this is NOT ABUSE). over the top a bit, but not abuse. In addition, mother is intoxicated. Children are interviewed and none fear mother, all said mother has never done this before and recognized that this behavior was not characteristic of their mother. Within 24 hours AL DHR demands that the children be returned and they won't allow phone calls or visits and are threatening to put the children up for Adoption. This is so wrong at so many levels. This is a working mom, (teacher) who has maintained a home, feeds and clothes and ensures the children are clean and provided everything they need. She is not a monster. She may benefit from stress counseling and coping skills. AL has not provided a 72-hour hearing, they will not respond to any requests for info from my office and never requested information from our office regarding the investigation. In the next 30 days these children would have been residents of NV and mother would be working a Case Plan to improve her diminished capacities. AL has opted to traumatize these children over allowing NV to develop a Case Plan in an effort to keep this family together. Mom is being treated unfairly. She is sitting in AL trying to get a visit with her children and no one is contacting her.

I am a CPS Social Worker in NV and prior to working in NV, I worked in Fl. I have a client who fought for 2.5 years to get her children from AL to NV after her x-husband went to prison. He had custody of the children due to her failure to attend a Custody hearing (advised by her attorney that she didn't need to attend due to the distance), she lost custody by default. He eventually goes to prison (crooked cop) and DHR knows of mother's whereabouts. Instead of moving the children quickly they made her jump threw two years of hoops. She finally gets the children on an ICPC (Interstate Compact) and the family is supervised for 5 months. The family goes on a mini-vacation and mother is upset with the children for their misbehavior (acting wild in a rented condo) and grabs a belt and starts flailing the belt. She strikes the children randomly while using a few cuss words. Boyfriend records the incident and calls the law. She is arrested for 4 counts of child abuse. (NV, this is NOT ABUSE). over the top a bit, but not abuse. In addition, mother is intoxicated. Children are interviewed and none fear mother, all said mother has never done this before and recognized that this behavior was not characteristic of their mother. Within 24 hours AL DHR demands that the children be returned and they won't allow phone calls or visits and are threatening to put the children up for Adoption. This is so wrong at so many levels. This is a working mom, (teacher) who has maintained a home, feeds and clothes and ensures the children are clean and provided everything they need. She is not a monster. She may benefit from stress counseling and coping skills. AL has not provided a 72-hour hearing, they will not respond to any requests for info from my office and never requested information from our office regarding the investigation. In the next 30 days these children would have been residents of NV and mother would be working a Case Plan to improve her diminished capacities. AL has opted to traumatize these children over allowing NV to develop a Case Plan in an effort to keep this family together. Mom is being treated unfairly. She is sitting in AL trying to get a visit with her children and no one is contacting her.
What is your question?...because your post doesn't contain one Are you aware how inappropriate it is for you to be posting this womans situation on the net? .

Why are you protecting this woman?

It could be argued that this is abuse (actally, negligent treatment): NRS 432B.140 Negligent treatment or maltreatment. Negligent treatment or maltreatment of a child occurs if a child has been subjected to harmful behavior that is terrorizing, degrading, painful or emotionally traumatic ...

The woman needs an attorney.

Towards the end of your post, you make it sound as if you are posting in an official capacity. If that is actually the case, then I can only say that your agency's legal counsel is the entity to ask.

Why are you protecting this woman?

It could be argued that this is abuse (actally, negligent treatment): NRS 432B.140 Negligent treatment or maltreatment. Negligent treatment or maltreatment of a child occurs if a child has been subjected to harmful behavior that is terrorizing, degrading, painful or emotionally traumatic ...

The woman needs an attorney.

Towards the end of your post, you make it sound as if you are posting in an official capacity. If that is actually the case, then I can only say that your agency's legal counsel is the entity to ask.
I can not imagine the reaction OP's supervisor will have when/if she reads this thread. ;)

The family goes on a mini-vacation and mother is upset with the children for their misbehavior (acting wild in a rented condo) and grabs a belt and starts flailing the belt. She strikes the children randomly while using a few cuss words. Boyfriend records the incident and calls the law. She is arrested for 4 counts of child abuse. (NV, this is NOT ABUSE). over the top a bit, but not abuse. In addition, mother is intoxicated.

A drunk woman "flailing" with a belt and "randomly" striking her kids isn't abuse? That's pretty sad and, in any event, since this incident didn't happen in Nevada, what is and isn't considered abuse in Nevada is utterly irrelevant.

they will not respond to any requests for info from my office

Probably because it's not your concern.

And, as others noted, since you didn't ask a question, it's unclear what the purpose of your post is. Needless to say the woman in question needs legal counsel in Nevada.

... since this incident didn't happen in Nevada, what is and isn't considered abuse in Nevada is utterly irrelevant.
It's hard to figure out, but I think this did happen in NV. The children have now been returned to AL, so mom is in AL trying to get the kids back.

"grabs a belt and starts flailing the belt. She strikes the children randomly while using a few cuss words..... over the top a bit, but not abuse. In addition, mother is intoxicated. "

I don't know any normal, rational person who would agree that this is NOT child abuse regardless of a law in NV. Even her boyfriend thought it was wrong!!! Why the heck are you defending this lady? Nothing seems to be her fault.....being a teacher, etc and never having done this before, etc.

If you don't want to be doxed, you might want to have this thread deleted if possible.

A drunk woman "flailing" with a belt and "randomly" striking her kids isn't abuse? That's pretty sad and, in any event, since this incident didn't happen in Nevada, what is and isn't considered abuse in Nevada is utterly irrelevant.

Probably because it's not your concern.

And, as others noted, since you didn't ask a question, it's unclear what the purpose of your post is. Needless to say the woman in question needs legal counsel in Nevada.

Alabama are where the children are. Alabama DHR has them in foster. Mom needs an attorney in Alabama ASAP.

Well if it's not abuse in Nevada how was she arrested for it? Also pulling out a belt and striking anyone with it while intoxicated is not "over the top." It's abuse - kids or adults.

She may not be a monster but she has a serious problem with alcohol it sounds like. How are they "threatening" to put the kids up for adoption? That seems a large leap of trying to have her parental rights relinquished and allow them to be adopted.

There's no question in your statement- just a story. So what's your question? You work for CPS...you should know what to do. Have you reported to anyone about the conduct of the CPS workers in AL?

Has it occurred to anyone else here that someone else may have posted this using Kathleen's name in an attempt to get her in some kind of trouble for talking about a case on a public message board? Or am I just way too suspicious of people?

Has it occurred to anyone else here that someone else may have posted this using Kathleen's name in an attempt to get her in some kind of trouble for talking about a case on a public message board? Or am I just way too suspicious of people?
It occurred to me. I'm sure that the people that may investigate this matter will look into that possibility. If, indeed, someone IS impersonating OP it's good if she knows and can take steps to find out who is doing this.

Back