Charges on Background Check

BackgroundMania

My background check that I pick up at my local justice center is showing what I was CHARGED with and not my conviction. Considering I was CHARGED with Man/Del/Selling and was CONVICTED of Possession of paraphernalia this makes a HUGE difference. I have spoken to the county clerk and the lawyer I paid $2500 to represent me on this case, and both have said that's simply how it is. This just seems. wrong please help. I just got my associates degree and am trying to get a job.

Well, you chose to commit a crime so I don't have any sympathy.

If you can't get the records updated I suggest you go to the courthouse, pull your case file and get a copy of your conviction report.

Scan it on to your computer so you can print it out whenever you need it.

Attach a copy to job application when you explain the "have you ever" answers.

Charges don't just disappear, unless you were acquitted.
You copped to a plea.
That original charge, as well as the plea will forever stain your once pristine criminal record.
You could obtain 50 Ph.Ds, but you'll forever have your criminal record marred with an arrest as a drug manufacturer, who copped to possession of drug paraphernalia.
Few employers will seek to hire you, even upon explanation.

You could discuss trying to seal your records with a couple local lawyers, but that solution isn't as successful as its touted to be.
You'll forever be faced with this dilemma.
Some people change their name, but fingerprints reveal the stain, too.
Sorry, the country isn't as forgiving as it once was.
It used to be, in most cases, do your time; you paid your debt.
Second chances seemed to be granted.
These days, not so much.

The time to worry about what your background check is going to show and how it will affect employment is before you commit a crime, not after.

Whether you get hired can depend on how long ago this happened, the job applied for, the individual employer etc. It's understandable why some employers will not hire you. (whether you were charged or convicted)

Last edited:
Back