1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Changing the settlement six years after divorce

Discussion in 'Alimony & Spousal Support' started by jude.ciancone, Aug 7, 2017.

  1. jude.ciancone

    jude.ciancone Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Throughout my twenty-three year marriage my ex-husband demonstrated every characteristic on the Power and Control wheel but one. He intimidated me, isolated me from family and friends, blamed me for his drinking and being defensive, threatened to take the children away, threatened to kill me, threatened to kick me out (which he did once) without any money, taking away any means of money from me, and he was emotionally unavailable unless he wanted sex. I walked away believing I did not have any kind of support network, no friends, no family, nothing to guide me through this, I just wanted out. So I left him with everything, the house, savings, and by then the kids were grown.

    I would like to know if I can sue him for my share of what I was entitled to when we divorced. He is now in contempt for not paying my car insurance as our divorce decree cites.
  2. Highwayman

    Highwayman Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Your settlement agreement and divorce decree should have given you what you were "entitled to". I know you were in a rush to get out but you screwed yourself. While support and the like may be modified with good reason, the rest of it is off the table.

    I would guess that you did not have an attorney. If you did then he/she seems to have done you a dis-service, although without more details that might be tough to say.

    Feel free to consult with a divorce attorney to make sure all the bases are covered.

Share This Page