Changing my childs last name

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgandee

I am married and have one daughter, but my husband is the step-father of my daughter. My daughter has my maiden name and I am wanting to have her last name changed to mine--her step-fathers last name. Is this possible, if so does her biological father have to give permission or can I do this without him and what is the cost? Any help on this would be appriciated. mgandee

Unless your husband legally adopts her, you really cannot change last names. Bio dad has a right to dispute it and you will likely need his permission.

I had a friend in this situation when I was younger. I am not sure where you are, but here is what the rules were at the time in Texas.

Yes a minor's last name can be changed, but it requires both parent's approval to change their name.

I suspect that most states are like this.

My ex refused to allow me to change our son's last name (to my last name), so we went ahead and did it anyway, but it's not legal.
Now his name is "my" last name on all of his school records, registrations, etc. etc. But it stipulates in the fine print, that it is a "also known as" name, not a legal name.
His bank accounts and his birth certificate carry his legal last name, and he's planning on changing those himself, when he's old enough.

how can you change a last name without making it legal? i want to change mine but my mom hasn't had the time to change it legally so how can i change it like "canadian_mama" did? do i just tell them at my school or what?

thx.

As a minor you are not able to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back