Extension, Renewal Change in Terms during lease renewal without any prior notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangs

This is regarding tenancy in Cupertino. I got a lease renewal notice 60 days in advance with more than 16% rent increase. However, while I was signing the renewal lease, I noticed that they have inserted some new terms without any prior communication/notice -
1. Lease Break penalty increased from 1 Month rent to 2 Months rent
2. Renters Insurance is Mandatory instead of optional

I requested that my contract terms remains the same since I was not given any notice along with lease renewal letter. Upon discussion, property manager says, I have 3 options -
1. Accept the lease renewal as-is with new terms
2. Go on Month-2-Month which is much more expensive and chances of further rent increase every month
3. Vacate the apartment with 30-day notice

I requested to be given a copy of new lease so I can review it for any other changes and they denied however I am welcome to go to their office and read it there. My question is what are my rights as a tenant in california when I am renewing the lease.

This is regarding tenancy in Cupertino. I got a lease renewal notice 60 days in advance with more than 16% rent increase. However, while I was signing the renewal lease, I noticed that they have inserted some new terms without any prior communication/notice -
1. Lease Break penalty increased from 1 Month rent to 2 Months rent
2. Renters Insurance is Mandatory instead of optional

I requested that my contract terms remains the same since I was not given any notice along with lease renewal letter. Upon discussion, property manager says, I have 3 options -
1. Accept the lease renewal as-is with new terms
2. Go on Month-2-Month which is much more expensive and chances of further rent increase every month
3. Vacate the apartment with 30-day notice

I requested to be given a copy of new lease so I can review it for any other changes and they denied however I am welcome to go to their office and read it there. My question is what are my rights as a tenant in california when I am renewing the lease.

You are FREE to NOT renew the lease.

If you choose to renew the lease, and they don't wish to negotiate, then don't renew.

If, however you sign the lease, you abide by the new lease terms, or get sued.

The lease is a contract.

If you sign, you are agreeing to the lease in its entirety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back