Cell phone is a Utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ba11361

My soon-to-be ex-husband is required to pay, among other things, the utilities for the household for the past year. Telephone is a utility. He claims the family's cell telephone bill is not a utility.

Where can I find a definition showing that a telephone is a telephone whether cellular or landline?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

My soon-to-be ex-husband is required to pay, among other things, the utilities for the household for the past year. Telephone is a utility. He claims the family's cell telephone bill is not a utility.

Where can I find a definition showing that a telephone is a telephone whether cellular or landline?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
What state are you in?

Some states are likely to say that a cell phone is NOT a utility. A landline into the residence, yes ... a cell phone, no. One is a staple of life, the other is a common luxury. But, other states might have decided that a cell phone is no longer a luxury.

- Carl

Do you have a land line? I agree that a cell phone is not a necessitiy it is a luxury. If you have a land line then he should not have to pay both. If you have no land line then you MIGHT have some luck paying a basic cell phone bill, but then why should he have to pay for texting, etc.. that stuff is luxury.

Thank you for your prompt response.

The case is in New York so I'd love to know if NY recognizes cell fones as a utility.

Secondly, Duranie, you may have hit the nail on the head. When he contacts the kids it's always on their cell phone by voice or text exclusively. It's a family plan, he and I are $10 add ons. It's primarily for the kids who are away at college and it's the only way to get in touch with them during the school year.

Yes but cell phones and texting are not necessary. We survived for years without cell phones. It can easily be argued as a luxury. If you want to communicate with the kids you can email them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back