caught stealing

DWALT29

Jurisdiction
Missouri
my friend is 15 years old a really good kid he got caught stealing $70 worth of stuff at walmart the police came and took him to juvy but he got released to his grandma he has court coming up soon is he going to go to juvy this is his first ever offence

my friend is 15 years old and was caught steal 70 dollars worth of stuff at walmart the cops came and took him to juvy but his grandma got him out he has court soon this is his first offence will he go to juvy

my friend is 15 years old and was caught steal 70 dollars worth of stuff at walmart the cops came and took him to juvy but his grandma got him out he has court soon this is his first offence will he go to juvy

No, the wayward lad will likely get a lecture, be ordered to attend a class (or classes) on ethics, honesty, citizenship, etc...

Be required to stay in school and maintain a "C" average or better, and be a good school citizen.

Some judges require kids to write an apology letter, or a letter admitting to the crimes, and promising to do better.

Time passes, maybe six months, maybe a year, he'll be done.

Juveniles aren't judged guilty their matters are adjudicated.

They aren't punished, they're required to improve themselves.

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Shoplifting is typically a "cite and release" offense so please explain why he was taken to "Juvy"? There could be more to this than your saying and if so the answers could change

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Shoplifting is typically a "cite and release" offense so please explain why he was taken to "Juvy"? There could be more to this than your saying and if so the answers could change

Minors don't get a cite and release from law enforcement, but the store could release.
The minor's promise to appear is meaningless. Sometimes thry are detained until a parent or guardian is available. The parent receives the citation and makes the promise to appear with the juvenile.

As far as consequences, let's not forget the court fees and fines mom and dad or grandma will have to pay for what this "good kid" did.

When my brother got caught shoplifting at 17, the police called my dad. They asked if he wanted to meet them at the store or the police station. My dad said "Take him to the police station and show him everything you can." When he got to the police station and picked up my brother, he was bawling. I don't think he ever stole again after that. This was just before they put the alarms in the doors or just after. But he had been doing it for a bit because my oldest brother told our dad or something and he told him "You know they have people walking around pretending to be customers to catch shoplifters right?" "Oh that's not true."

I'm not sure how he got caught and I feel like he did it because one of his friends did and got away with it. He got banned from that store and the rest of us weren't allowed to go there either which sucks. We didn't steal. That was quite a long time ago.

I'm not sure what ended up happening to my brother though. My brother did say our mom took him to our grandpa's after that for some reason and that all our grandpa did was come out of the house, had a look of pure disappointment, said nothing and went back inside. He said that's what made him really never do it again.

Back