Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught shoplifting, 1st offense. received DAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

atnyc

Hi, I got caught shoplifting products that cost around $70 today and was given the DAT to attend an appointment on court. I've searched up something about pleading guilty versus getting "ACD". It sounds as if ACD is better for future employment, since we'd never actually plead guilty to offenses. What do I have to do to get the ACD and do I need a lawyer for that? I can't afford one for sure and am extremely regretful about this. I am actually trying to get into medical school, and I've never done this before.

Is it possible that the prosecutor will offer the ACD? I am really nervous about this and I would really appreciate your help! Thanks

Do not deal with prosecutor without a Lawyer. If you cannot afford an Attorney then plead not guilty or enter no plea on first court date and ask for Public defender. When you meet with public defender talk to him about ACD

The store actually took pictures of me and the stuffs I took, can I still plead not guilty with that? Would they send those pictures to court?

Is it possible to go see a public defender before my court date so that he/she would be there with me to work out a deal with the prosecutor?

thanks so much, it's great that you guys are here to help at times like this.

I am going to call up the defender service (Brooklyn Defender Services) on Monday along with some other private lawyers just so I could get some free consultations, like you've suggested in other topics. I wonder if the Brooklyn Defender Services are free. Anyways, I wished the court date was sooner in a way, just so I could get it over with. I am dying from regret and guilt, I don't know if I should tell my parents. I hope no one saw me when the police took me, cause it happened in my neighborhood. I can't imagine my family finding out from our neighbors.

By the way, is there a difference between ACD and diversion?

Basically?, no. These programs vary by county so ask. If this site was any at all to you please post something in our testimonial section so we can use it in promoting site

Actually, I've just read one of your replies on a different post and decided to apply for the NASP program. I just purchased the home-study package and really hope that it will end my shoplifting. Should I mention this to my public defender when I get one so he/she could let the court know? And how much would this help in court?

Thanks for your advice and yes, I will definitely leave something in your testimonial page, and update on this once the case is done. That's not until a month after, though.

What is the difference between pleading not guilty and remaining silence when they asked?

If i plead not guilty, does my public defender work out a deal with the prosecutor the same day or do I have to go back another date for them to work the deal? I go to school that's a few hours drive away from home, so I don't want to have to skip classes and travel back for court appearances all the time.

I have a month before my first court date, do you think I would be able to discuss these all with the public defender prior?

By the way, I've emailed Barbara. Thanks for the email.

What is the difference between pleading not guilty and remaining silence when they asked?
On your first court date not much. Judge will enter not guilty plea on your behalf

If i plead not guilty, does my public defender work out a deal with the prosecutor the same day or do I have to go back another date for them to work the deal? I go to school that's a few hours drive away from home, so I don't want to have to skip classes and travel back for court appearances all the time.

That will depend on PD and how much time he has

I have a month before my first court date, do you think I would be able to discuss these all with the public defender prior?
Call court and ask

And is it possible to get the arrest expunged? If so, when and how could I get it expunged?
Yes but you will need to wait years and its costly

When I was at the police station, they took my fingerprints and entered my info on the state information center I believe. Is that the National Crime Information Center? I've read somewhere that even having an arrest record will be horrible for the state license stuff. I mean I am about to apply for medical school, and even I ever make it in (they do background checks), and want to get a doctor's license in the future, would I be able to?

Afraid that is a bit out of our area of expertise. Being arrested does not mean your guilty of a crime so I cannot say it would harm your chances at being a Doctor. In general background checks cover convictions not arrests.

Thanks, I've posted the question on it. But do you know if the fingerprinting goes into the state database or the national? Some medical boards do FBI fingerprint clearance, would my fingerprint be on the FBI record?

atnyc said:
Thanks, I've posted the question on it. But do you know if the fingerprinting goes into the state database or the national? Some medical boards do FBI fingerprint clearance, would my fingerprint be on the FBI record?
If you are booked, those records will enter the state database and almost certainly the FBI database as well. If some agency does a fingerprint clearance, they will search for records using state and federal databases.

Whether this theft is a disqualifying offense for whatever medical license you seek, I do not know. You will have to hunt down a little more info.

One more question, would the case be considered done with, or still pending during the 6 months when given the ACD? Theres a question on the medical school application that asks if you have a pending charge against you right now or something, how should I answer that if it was during my 6 months period of the ACD?

atnyc said:
One more question, would the case be considered done with, or still pending during the 6 months when given the ACD? Theres a question on the medical school application that asks if you have a pending charge against you right now or something, how should I answer that if it was during my 6 months period of the ACD?
This would best be answered by an attorney in NY, but, from what I have read in New York a case that is subject ACD is considered "dismissed" on the date of the adjournment. It is restored on the first anniversary of the dismissal and the case is sealed automatically unless the prosecution objects. So, if you have an ACD and mind your manners and the law, it should go away. And my reading would seem to indicate that the matter is dismissed (and no longer pending) when you are granted the ACD, but I am not in your state and have no specific knowledge of this law or how it functions there.

The store I shoplifted from called the cops and took me to the police station, they never mentioned anything about civil demand. Will they send me a civil demand letter in the mail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back