Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught in Urban Outfitters 2 months ago-went through deterrent plan, still issued a civil demand

confused1601

Jurisdiction
New York
As the title states, I was caught shoplifting at an urban outfitters two months ago, my first and only offense, and I went through a deterrent plan, got a desk ticket, and did community service so the courts wouldn't prosecute. However, I checked my P.O. box today and I have a civil demand for $300. I'm a highschool kid working a minimum wage job and I don't have the money to pay for this, what can I do? I thought I was done with all of this? Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

There program you went through was regarding the criminal charge.
The demand letter is a civil matter. Yes, they can still demand you pay.
Whether or not you need to pay it is debatable.
Since you have already been to court they really don't have anything to hang over your head if you don't pay. You have no legal obligation to pay the demand. It is not a fine. It is just a scheme to get more money.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Even though court case is over there can still be consequences for not paying.In fact the terms of your probation may include paying civil demand. I have seen this but not often. Look at links and video below and decide. I tell all my clients if you cant pay make payment arrangements the consequences can be serious even if not often issued. Its a coin toss do you feel lucky?

Civil Recovery

@Highwayman I'm not trying to garner sympathy or anything of the likes, I'm just seeing if there was an alternative solution. With the price they want me to pay and the short amount of time I have to pay it in, I may have to drop out or get close to a truancy notice to get these hours. I'm sorry you thought I was trying to deter my actions, but I assure you I take full responsibility for the actions I've committed. No need to add unnecessary commentary to the thread that doesn't aide the question.

If you are under 18 you have less to worry about. They can't sue you if you don't pay them.
Talk to your parents about what to do. You might want to take the letter to a local attorney and get some quck advice as to how things are typically handled in your area.
If you are a minor it is your parents who really need to decide what to do. You yourself can't be touched. Stay in school.

@mightymoose thank you so much. My parents, rightfully so, don't really want to pay for it, but if I could possibly have them pay for it and then me pay them back, it may be doable. I'll try to see if I can find any books at the library as well as seeking out an attorney that may be able to help me. Thank you once again.

Any of the consequences mentioned and/or addressed in links or video I posted will fall on your parents. Therefore your poor choice could cost them.

@mightymoose thank you so much. My parents, rightfully so, don't really want to pay for it, but if I could possibly have them pay for it and then me pay them back, it may be doable. I'll try to see if I can find any books at the library as well as seeking out an attorney that may be able to help me. Thank you once again.

Your parents aren't required to pay for the demand letter.

Nothing you are alleged to have done involves them.

You're a minor, and as such, for incidents of this nature you're untouchable.

Don't, however, become a serial offender.

There's no way the court would ever demand you miss school to work to pay a demand SCAM letter.

Back