Case over my dogs ????

SA3339

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
Long story short my mother got her boyfriend to sue me for money I owe. Which I'm paying on monthly not much of a dispute, kinda ridiculous. But my mother hates me and is trying to get my dogs taken away from me. So their angle is I would be able to pay them more if I didn't have my dogs. Could I ever be ordered to get rid of them?? Sounds kinda silly I know. My dog had a litter and she was very ill, half her litter passed and I kept the other half. So I cant let them be separated now. Shes tried everything just want to know my rights with the dogs.
Thank you!!

Long story short my mother got her boyfriend to sue me for money I owe.

You owed her boyfriend money and he sued you? Or did you owe your mother money and the boyfriend sued you?

But my mother hates me and is trying to get my dogs taken away from me.

What do you mean by "trying"? What is she doing? Saying?

Shes tried everything

Tried what?

Do you live with your mother?

Could I ever be ordered to get rid of them??

Not to pay a debt. No.

No, they could not legally do anything about the dogs or how much money you choose to spend on them.

Have you actually been served papers to appear in court? If so, from who did you actually borrow the money? Was there any written agreement about when or how you would pay it back?

Long story short my mother got her boyfriend to sue me for money I owe.

If you were sued in small claims court and a judgment was awarded to the other party, what was the amount of the judgment?

NOTHING will happen to you if you DON'T pay a small claims judgment.

The judgment has already whacked your FICO, very little a small claims judgment holder can do further to harm you.

The small claims court won't do anything to you, if you CHOOSE not to pay.

The judgment holder could come after your assets, but it sounds as if you don't have much to come after, so you might wish to consider simply start paying.

It appears your relationship with your mother has been damaged beyond repair.

What you choose to do is up to you.

If the money you're giving to the dude your mother beds down would help you live better, the choice is yours if you keep giving money to the dude your mother calls boyfriend.

I do not live with my mother. The 3 of us started a type of business together. I'm a contractor so mothers boyfriend said get my guys jobs and i will let you use my credit cards to pay for insurance, bidding fees etc. They bailed on me and the company short after and left me with the debt.
I have been paying monthly on them with receipts lately becuaee my mother dose not admit I make payments.

They both harrass me and my dogs where I am currently staying. Put up cameras to catch them and a few times came on the property Threatening me. They have called the animal control on me tons of times as an anonymous concerned neighbor. Had a chat with the dog officer but cant prove its them becuaee rhey don't leave a phone number.

Any way they are telling the courts I would be able to pay them more if i didn't have the dogs.

Thank you all so much for your imput as I would be representing myself.

Oh and no contract ever of any kind between any of us. Mother was once on my LLC until I filed to take her off.

They both harrass me and my dogs where I am currently staying.

If I were you, I'd simply move and not disclose to ANYONE my new address.

Better yet, if you leave MA, even if you moved to VT or NH, there's nothing a small claims judgment can do to snatch $1.00 of your money.

Oh and no contract ever of any kind between any of us.

If there is NOTHING in writing, there is no paper trail to prove anything.

It will be your word (and the word of your witnesses) against their word.

NEVER admit to ANYTHING.

If you haven't been sued, you have no LEGAL obligation to pay anyone anything.

Stop letting these rascals rip you off.

The debt is on another person's credit card which that person is responsible for. If that person wants you to pay they would be wise to be much nicer to you, because you don't have to pay a penny right now if you don't want to.

my mother hates me and is trying to get my dogs taken away from me. So their angle is I would be able to pay them more if I didn't have my dogs. Could I ever be ordered to get rid of them?

Not for this reason.

My dog had a litter and she was very ill, half her litter passed and I kept the other half. So I cant let them be separated now.

Ummm...of course you can. You simply choose not to do so.

The money you owe your mother's boyfriend has nothing to do with your dogs (and vice versa). If the money is owed (as you seem to admit), then the boyfriend will get a judgment and can then try to enforce that judgment by garnishing your wages, levying on your bank account, etc.

You may want to look into getting a loan to pay off your mother's boyfriend.

Back