Carpet Replacement

Jazmine

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I moved out of my apartment, there was damage to about 4ft of carpet right at front door, no other damage to rest of apartment (2 br, living room, dining room). Apartment complex charged me $875 for carpet replacement for entire apartment. They claimed carpet was discontinued so new carpet had to be placed in entire apartment even though only a small portion was damaged. Is this right? Should I have to pay for entire replacement? This is in Georgia.
dash.gif

Should I have to pay for entire replacement?

If the prior carpet is no longer available, YES, the entire unit is normally recarpeted with a comparable carpet.

If you dislike the landlord's actions, you can try to discuss it with her/him.

Good luck.

I moved out of my apartment, there was damage to about 4ft of carpet right at front door, no other damage to rest of apartment (2 br, living room, dining room). Apartment complex charged me $875 for carpet replacement for entire apartment. They claimed carpet was discontinued so new carpet had to be placed in entire apartment even though only a small portion was damaged. Is this right? Should I have to pay for entire replacement? This is in Georgia.
dash.gif
How old was the carpet that you damaged?

If the carpet was old enough it may have needed replacing anyway and would fall under ordinary wear and tear.
If the landlord is asking you to pay more you don't have to pay unless you are sued and a judge orders you to pay.
If you are wanting to recover a deposit or a portion of it you will have to sue the landlord and obtain a judgment. You will have to prove the landlord's deductions/fees were unreasonable or unnecessary. Hopefully you have photos.

While I don't disagree with the notion that one does not have to pay unless a judge orders it, I feel it would be wise to also advise people that, if a judge orders it, they will then have a JUDGMENT on their record.

Civil judgments aren't as damaging as they used to be. They no longer appear on credit reports or effect scores and wouldn't show up without a public records check.
Fear of a judgment should never prohibit someone from arguing their case if they feel they are being treated unfairly.

Civil judgments aren't as damaging as they used to be. They no longer appear on credit reports or effect scores and wouldn't show up without a public records check.
Fear of a judgment should never prohibit someone from arguing their case if they feel they are being treated unfairly.
They may, however, appear for future background checks by landlords

Back