Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Care package containing Marijuana

L

LittleGiGi

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I sent my boyfriend who lives in Florida a care package. I live in Ohio. It was perfectly authentic, full of pictures and goodies and "lovey dovey" things and a bunch of "open when" letters. One letter the title was "open when your stressed." And inside it had pictures and little notes and tiny envelope that said "for instant relief." I had put a small amount (1-2 grams) of marijuana in it. I want to know what charges could come against me if the postal service were to open it and find that. Or what they will do at all, if they will proceed to try and make an arrest or just confiscate and disregard the package all together? I honestly didn't think about it at all, I literally just sent it, like a niave little girl, in a beautiful care package I put together for my Long Distance relationship

I would avoid sending anything through the US Mail (or any package delivery service) that could bring you legal difficulty if you handed the item to a person.

In your case, 1-2 grams of "the two sisters -Mary & Jane-" sent through the US Postal service would definitely result in a prosecution.

Lately, it appears, people have begun sending the "two sisters" through the mail.

Arrests for such activity are on the increase.

Law Office of Christopher G Humphrey PC | Christopher G HumphreyYou could be charged in the state you live and the state you sent it. you could be charged with Conspiracy, and attempted Delivery of a Controlled Substance. There could be a federal charge under Title 18 USC 841.... Just delivery alone in Wyoming is 0-10 years in prison. depending on who charges you, many different things could happen. This is a fact intensive question. Go speak with a criminal defense attorney immediately.

If you get away with it, be smarter, don't do it again.

Marijuana: less than 50 kilograms marijuana (but does not include 50 or more marijuana plants regardless of weight)

1 to 49 marijuana plants

First Offense: Not more than 5 yrs. Fine not more than $250,000, $1 million if other than an individual.

Second Offense: Not more than 10 yrs. Fine $500,000 if an individual, $2 million if other than individual.

What you've done could be charged as a felony.
It was foolish for both of you.
Wake up, you don't want to ruin your life, do you?

Craig W. Elhart, P.C. | Craig Elhart
This is a federal offense and the penalty will depend on what you are ultimately charged with.
Answer Applies to: Michigan

Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. SavoyYou can be charged under both Federal and State statutes. The amount of a jail sentence depends on the charge. I would need to know the charge before I can advise you of possible jail sentences.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut

Law Office of Phillip Weiser | Phillip L. Weiser
This would be a Federal charge, and the penalty would depend upon your prior criminal history and the level of crime charged.
Answer Applies to: Kansas

Read this:

DEA WEBSITE: Request Rejected
FBI agent kindly asked my friend to stop mailing marijuana to himself • /r/legaladvice
What is the penalty for mailing marijuana USPS? I mailed less than an ounce between states and the package was seized by the post office.Cannabis News and Legislation
Is It Possible to Send Weed in the Mail?
Marijuana in the mail questions (serious)
Can You Ship Marijuana Through The US Mail?

Worry about it when and if the Postal Inspectors come calling. Meanwhile keep in mind that shipping drugs interstate is not a smart idea.

Good luck with your long-distance "boyfriend".

I would avoid sending anything through the US Mail (or any package delivery service) that could bring you legal difficulty if you handed the item to a person.

In your case, 1-2 grams of "the two sisters -Mary & Jane-" sent through the US Postal service would definitely result in a prosecution.

Lately, it appears, people have begun sending the "two sisters" through the mail.

Arrests for such activity are on the increase.

Law Office of Christopher G Humphrey PC | Christopher G HumphreyYou could be charged in the state you live and the state you sent it. you could be charged with Conspiracy, and attempted Delivery of a Controlled Substance. There could be a federal charge under Title 18 USC 841.... Just delivery alone in Wyoming is 0-10 years in prison. depending on who charges you, many different things could happen. This is a fact intensive question. Go speak with a criminal defense attorney immediately.

If you get away with it, be smarter, don't do it again.

Marijuana: less than 50 kilograms marijuana (but does not include 50 or more marijuana plants regardless of weight)

1 to 49 marijuana plants

First Offense: Not more than 5 yrs. Fine not more than $250,000, $1 million if other than an individual.

Second Offense: Not more than 10 yrs. Fine $500,000 if an individual, $2 million if other than individual.

What you've done could be charged as a felony.
It was foolish for both of you.
Wake up, you don't want to ruin your life, do you?

Craig W. Elhart, P.C. | Craig Elhart
This is a federal offense and the penalty will depend on what you are ultimately charged with.
Answer Applies to: Michigan

Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. SavoyYou can be charged under both Federal and State statutes. The amount of a jail sentence depends on the charge. I would need to know the charge before I can advise you of possible jail sentences.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut

Law Office of Phillip Weiser | Phillip L. Weiser
This would be a Federal charge, and the penalty would depend upon your prior criminal history and the level of crime charged.
Answer Applies to: Kansas

Read this:

DEA WEBSITE: Request Rejected
FBI agent kindly asked my friend to stop mailing marijuana to himself • /r/legaladvice
What is the penalty for mailing marijuana USPS? I mailed less than an ounce between states and the package was seized by the post office.Cannabis News and Legislation
Is It Possible to Send Weed in the Mail?
Marijuana in the mail questions (serious)
Can You Ship Marijuana Through The US Mail?
I know how stupid it was now. But my boyfriend has no idea what's even in the package at all. If anything happens I don't want him apart of this. He still has no idea that the package is delayed for whatever reason. Is there any way to keep him out of any charges, since he really had no idea of any of it?

How long until I should stop worrying do you think?

If its delayed, the postal inspectors may be trying to locate both of you.
The inspectors could be discussing things with the US attorneys in Ohio and Florida, hard to say.

All you can do is wait and hope.

If the federal agents do come calling, be polite.
But, decline to talk about or admit to anything.
Tell them you INVOKE and want a lawyer.

Then, stand your ground, don't answer any questions except name, address, date of birth stuff.

If you get convicted, it'll probably impact your job, plus your name will be blasted all over the Internet, tv, and newspaper.

Next time send him a simple card, or a personal message.

Don't do stupid stuff.

The package arrived at his house unopened and in the exact state that I had sent it. Is he safe opening it? Could it really have just been a real delay not having anything to do wih what was inside?

The package arrived at his house unopened and in the exact state that I had sent it. Is he safe opening it? Could it really have just been a real delay not having anything to do wih what was inside?

Hard to know.

You'll have to wait for the other show to drop, or the trap to be sprung, watch yoru back, have your bail money ready....

Remember, don't do anymore stupid stuff.

If you're still among the free, the worst might be over.

Well he got the package and everything was in opened!

I assume you mean "unopened".

You have no way of knowing that. First of all YOU weren't there when your "boyfriend" received it and secondly it's usually not difficult to open and then re-close a package while keeping it in its original condition - I'm sure the postal inspectors are especially good at that.

Back