Car/title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osce0la

I hope this is the right forum and I apologize if it is not...

My wife bought a car from a friend back in February. He had gotten the car from his dad, and they had both signed the title to have it switched to his name. When my wife purchased the car, he realized that he had never gotten the name on the title switched (his dad's name was still on the title). He told my wife he would get that fixed and then he would sign the title over to her. It has been 7 months since we bought the car and he has done NOTHINg with the title. So we are without a tag and everytime we try to contact him we are either ignored or told that he will do it on this day, but when that day gets here there is always an excuse for why he did not get it done. We are considering taking him to court to get either the title or the $2,000 she paid for the car. Is there anything we can do?

At this point you can persuade him to comply and sign the title over, or take him to court and sue for the return of your money.

The problem is, a small claims court doesn't have the power to order him to sign the title. It can only order him to pay you. But, collecting on your judgment is all but impossible, in most cases. (As you'll doom discover!) The time to have prevented this, is before you paid him.

Remember how kids used to trade items on the playground when you were 8 or 9 years old? That's how you gotta do it even when you're 29, 39, or even 99!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back