car ownership/ co-ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry

My stepson bought a car and had his girlfriend on as co-owner. He made all the payments
on the car. They broke up and she came and took the car. He was going to let her have the car but she was to make the payments. After a couple of months, she stopped making payments on the car. There is $5500 still owed. It is on his credit report now that it is
90 days behind. He is in the process of buying a home and it has stopped him being able
to buy until the payment is brought up to date. He went and made the payments. He is now
considering paying the car off totally. I am afraid she has him over the barrel so to speak and think she will still be able to keep the car. She has since bought her own vehicle. She
has the car blocked in the back of her house. The police say they can't do anything.
Any suggestions?

larry said:
My stepson bought a car and had his girlfriend on as co-owner. He made all the payments
on the car. They broke up and she came and took the car. He was going to let her have the car but she was to make the payments. After a couple of months, she stopped making payments on the car. There is $5500 still owed. It is on his credit report now that it is
90 days behind. He is in the process of buying a home and it has stopped him being able
to buy until the payment is brought up to date. He went and made the payments. He is now
considering paying the car off totally. I am afraid she has him over the barrel so to speak and think she will still be able to keep the car. She has since bought her own vehicle. She
has the car blocked in the back of her house. The police say they can't do anything.
Any suggestions?

He should sue her for the value of half the car. He should write her a letter, return receipt, stating that she has refused to give him the car that he owns half of and she has missed payments resulting in damages. Unless she turns over the car to him along with the value of half the car (state an amount) then he has no choice but to take her to court. Sue her in small claims if you don't hear back. That's the best way to handle this it seems, absent an amicable resolution. The key here is that he owns have the car and is on the title so it seems.

For the sake of your son's credit report the thing to do is pay the vehicle off. He signed a legal document stating that he would pay for the vehicle. I would also call the finance company make certain that they had his address down as the place to send the payments and title when the vehicle is payed off.

Then gather all of the bank records showing where he made the payments and also the records showing months that payments where not made by the person that took possesion of the vehicle. File a civil suit against the co-owner for 1/2 of the total payments and late fees payed by your son. Also file in the suit that the vehicle shall either be placed in the co-owners name as rigtful owner for payment of 1/2 off the vehicles current value or that the vehicle be sold and all money obtained split between the two owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back