Auto Loans Car loan Nightmare

Badluckcass

So I purchased a used 2003 Mazda 6s in Janurary 2014 with about 130,000 for about $7000. Initially I had to wait over a week because the check engine light was on and wouldn't go off, which should have been my first red flag. But everything was fine until April 2014, the check engine light came on. I took it in to the dealership where I bought it from and they said it was just an eVap leak from my gas cap. So I took my car back and continued driving until the second weekend of May 2014, when my check engine light start flashing, meaning a misfire. I called the dealership and asked about misfiring, they told me to drive the vehicle to their shop (which I'm told you are supposed to completely stop driving the car when it misfires because it can ruin the car). I took my car in the next Monday morning the 12th, and they told me that it was misfiring and they had to do diagnostics to see what was wrong. A few days later they called and said that it was my sparks plugs, then a couple more days later it was my coil ignition packs, and then later on they still couldn't figure out what was wrong. So they decided it would be smart to drive the vehicle over 20 miles to the nearest Mazda dealership to test the vehicle on the Mazda computer. While the dealership employee was driving my car, it completely shut off on the way. The dealership ended up getting it towed the rest of the way to the Mazda dealership. Then the dealership told me it was going to cost over $500 to determine what was wrong with it and since it was still under warranty, the salesman didn't seem too thrilled about this either so we decided we would get it towed back to their shop so another mechanic could take a look and figure out what was wrong. After a week of my car just sitting at the Mazda dealership, it was finally towed back to the original dealership/repair shop. After a couple more days (getting into June 2014 here, my warranty expired in July 2014 by the way), I called to see what was going on cause it had already been three weeks and no one knew what was wrong. They finally decided on the problem being another coil ignition so I thought my car was going to be all fixed. The next week I called again to see if it was done and then I was told that I needed a new catalytic converter because "something happened to it." I asked them when it was going to be done they said they weren't sure because they had other work to do. After a month of waiting for my vehicle back, I was told that I could take my car to another repair shop to replace the catalytic converter, and other than that everything was 100% fine and drive able.

Well little did I know what they really did to my car. Not even two minutes after I pull out of the dealership driveway, the car starts shaking and getting hot. So I pullover and have to have it towed to the repair shop I was taking it to. Once there, the mechanic told me he would replace my converter and have it done in a couple of days. Well in a couple of days, he called me (which I was not used to because I had to call the dealership every single time to figure out what was going on with my car!), and said that the converter was melted so bad it was in pieces in my exhaust. AND, there were STILL engine problems. Mind you, this is about 6 weeks in and I'm finding out that my timing is off, the "replaced and new" coil packs were broken and siliconed back together, the "new and replaced" spark plugs were not so new and mismatched, there was an override sensor in my exhaust to override the check engine light, AND there wasn't even an air filter in my vehicle!!! Now the dealership bought the car from the someone in florida or something (I'm in NY), but the had my vehicle for over a month and couldn't even put an air filter in it! That one can cause engine troubles, which it turns out it wasn't just my coil packs or spark plugs, I ended up needing a new engine completely. I ended up paying over $3000 for my new engine, catalytic converter work and labor.

Later on I filed a complaint with the DMV but since I took my car from the dealership it apparently wasn't their responsibility for the "work" they did before. The DMV talked to one person at the dealership, the salesman who didn't even work on my car and who wasn't even there half of the time.

Meanwhile, I still had to pay my car payment every month from Westlake Financial (don't even get my started on those ***holes). And after I took my vehicle to the good repair shop, the dealership all of a sudden closed down. I still owed them over $1000 for the "work" they did and after the salesman threatening me about paying, I never heard back from them. I would think of they did legit work they would want their money for parts and labor.

I also found out that the dealership didn't report my issues or repairs with my warranty company so by the time the DMV got involved the warranty company didn't even have any idea that their was work being done on my car. And yet, the DMV still did absolutely nothing about this.

I had my vehicle for about 4 months until all this happened. And then in August 2014 when the DMV finally completed their investigation, I had to find some way to get my vehicle back to get back to work.

Now, it's April 2015 and my car still doesn't seem to be driving like it should.

So I guess I'm just wondering do I just have horrible luck or do I have a case against the dealership?

(One good thing about the DMV is that they told me if I wanted to have another investigation and they found no fault at the dealership, then I definitely wouldn't have a case so thats why I decided to just pay for the engine myself).

Your fatal mistake was in buying a car with over 100,000 miles and more than a decade old.
No one is going to do much for you, buddy.
You can bring a small claims case against the dealer, but don't expect a miracle.

If you ever buy another car, try to buy a new one.
You an purchase a new car for around ten grand these days.
It won't be large, or won't have many bells and whistles, but it'll serve you well for three or four years.

Last edited:
If the dealership closed down there may not be anything or anyone to make a claim against. It sounds like you had some back luck, coupled with an unscrupulous dealer(perhaps why the closed down). Honestly, you may have a legitimate claim but proving who did what and when, would be a major challenge now that the dealership is closed. Trying to get records, tracking down mechanics etc would likely be a nightmare. But of course you can also meet with a local attorney and get their opinion.

Back