Car Lease Responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

springerdog1

My brother is named as the beneficiary of my living well. I currently have a car lease. Would he be responsible for the lease balance if I die?

He wouldn't be responsible for ANY OF your debts. Your estate might be, but he wouldn't.

Since he is named as the beneficiary of my estate wouldn't he have to pay the balance due out of the funds he receives?

The company could simply repossess the vehicle. A leased vehicle is not yours to give. It belongs to the dealer.

I want to make sure he is not responsible. What is the best way to get a definitive answer, as the finance company has yet to provide a clear answer.

Generally the "executor" of the estate would be required/responsible to see that all "debts" are paid/taken care of before distributing any assets/income to any beneficiary. Since this is a leased vehicle, it may just be given back to the dealer as mightymoose noted.

I appreciate the help. Before I posted this, my thoughts were because there would be money in the estate he would have to pay off the balance of the lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back