car insurance

jodi

Jurisdiction
California
my son totalled his car last night.when he called his insurance (farmers) company.they said that he wasnt covered because it wasnt paid last month.he has it set up to automaticly take payment out of his account.what can he do?

my son totalled his car last night.when he called his insurance (farmers) company.they said that he wasnt covered because it wasnt paid last month.he has it set up to automaticly take payment out of his account.what can he do?

Was the account balance sufficient to cover the payment at the time they tried to auto withdraw?

Has the auto draw been occurring reliably for some time prior to this?

Did they send him a cancellation notice due to non-payment?

You can appeal their denial decision. It's not a guarantee they will reverse their decision but that's where you need to start. Expect an uphill battle.

ETA: if you have a local agent, start with them as opposed to the 1-800 crew.

Did he not notice it wasn't taken out of his account last month?

He can dig deep into his piggy bank, maybe you'll throw a few quid his way, and see about getting his insurance reinstated and his car repaired.

Back