Car dealership purchase issue - need opinion if I have a case

Status
Not open for further replies.

punch

On 11/25/2006 I purchased a pre-owned Honda Ridgeline from a local dealership here in Hawaii, island of Oahu... The Ridgeline had some rear end damage but I was assured that the damage was only cosmetic and prior to purchasing the vehicle, an "owes" sheet was furnished which documented the the repair and stated "bumper repair". The bumper or more like the bumper cover, the plastic piece, was completely replaced.

Later this year, last month - November, I decided to purchase a tow hitch. Previously I attempted to install an after market Curt hitch but was unsuccessful. Thinking the Curt hitches were the issue previously, I decided to purchase a genuine Honda hitch. Attempted installation and one side can't line up (passenger side) to be bolted... On recent maintenance appt, I requested that Honda service take a look at the hitch and complete install... Honda was unable to install the hitch and claimed that the metal part of the bumper, structurally, may be out of spec and to consult with a body shop. They were tipped off that the bumper was replaced, i.e. previous rear end damage becuase the current bumper cover is being attached to the bumper support by adhesive instead of clips...

Went to a reputable body shop and the estimator stated that #1 - the plastic bumper cover should not be held down by adhesive and it looks like the bumper cover, plastic piece, is not going on properly since the bumper supports may be out of spec. #2 - to get a complete estimate, the cost is $100 to remove the bumper cover to check the bumper support and whether the rear end is out of spec or not...

I plan to go back to the dealer to ask that complete repairs are done to ensure the bumper support is replaced as required and rear end brought within spec, if not, to allow the bumper cover to be installed properly as well as the tow hitch. If the dealer does not want to budge since the sale is "AS IS" even though the owes sheet states "bumper repair", do I have a case legally? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back