Naturalization, Citizenship Canadian to become U.S. Citizen through parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xphial

I am a 21 year old woman born abroad to a U.S. Parent. I am familiar with the physical requirements and easily meet them as my Father stayed in the U.S. until he was 22 years old.

I have been doing extensive research on becoming an American Citizen. Since I was not naturalized and a Consular Report of Birth Abroad record doesn't exist, I looked into filing an N-600K form, but the waiting period of ~16-18 months seemed too long.

I decided on going to the U.S. Consulate office in Toronto and trying to obtain a Passport through their services. It seemed like a somewhat harmless process until I started getting into the nitty gritty of the paperwork required. Seems as though everything has to be an original copy, which is a pain insofar that the waiting times for such documents are endless.

From what I understand, what I need includes:
- Completed Citizenship Questionnaire
- Completed DS-11 Form; unsigned
- Applicant's Identification - School I.D., passport, + Provincial Birth Record
- U.S. Birth Certificate with seal from the Vital Records Office
- Certified copy of Marriage License and Divorce License
- My Father's Canadian Immigration Record - they can ask for more evidence such as school/employment records, or any military time served

Some questions that I have that would appreciate being answered:

1. If your proof of right to citizenship is sufficient, is there more paperwork to be done after you've been approved?

2. Can I obtain a Social Security Number at the same time?

3. Is a Social Security Number of a parent considered 'proof' of U.S. Nationality?

4. Do I absolutely positively have to have the Canadian Immigration Record?

--> From the AMCITS site, it seems to me that it's the 'base' document for physical proof and that extensive school or employment records are secondary. I am merely asking because *12 WEEKS!* seems like a long time to wait around for them.

Is there anything I'm overlooking?

Thank you in advance for any advice given. :)

- Frustrated in Canada

Last edited:
Some questions that I have that would appreciate being answered:

1. If your proof of right to citizenship is sufficient, is there more paperwork to be done after you've been approved?
You need just all of what the consul asked. You can never predict. Each case is different and they might require more proofs.........But the current requirements are the minimum.

2. Can I obtain a Social Security Number at the same time?
When you get your petition approved then you can.

3. Is a Social Security Number of a parent considered 'proof' of U.S. Nationality?
It could be used to check some background information but not as a proof alone............Just a component in the process.

4. Do I absolutely positively have to have the Canadian Immigration Record?
Yes............If not you would need a lawyer to help you navigate such records...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back