K Visa Canadian marrying an American Soldier

Status
Not open for further replies.

cslade15

Hi I'm from Canada and I'll be marrying an American in May. He's stationed in Korea right now and will be there for at least another year. Right after our wedding we will be returning to Korea to live. What do I need to do in the meantime to obtain citizenship for the United States? Thanks

cslade15 said:
Hi I'm from Canada and I'll be marrying an American in May. He's stationed in Korea right now and will be there for at least another year. Right after our wedding we will be returning to Korea to live. What do I need to do in the meantime to obtain citizenship for the United States? Thanks
You will likely need to contact the US Consolate in Canada. A search here should provide you with a great deal of information regarding the process.

Before a person with a green card can obtain US citizenship, US law requires that a person must be physically present in the US for (1) at least 2 and a half years out of a total of five years or (2) if the applicant is the spouse of a US citizen, then 1 and a half years out of three. Spouses (holding green cards) of US citizens who are stationed abroad can be naturalized without satisfying the physical presence requirement. People who fall within this exception include those whose spouses are:

(1) a US citizen
(2) employed by the US government, an American research institution, or certain US companies dealing with foreign trade
(3) regularly stationed abroad.

I think you qualify for all three. The applicant to be naturalized must show "good moral character" (a form), demonstrate English language proficiency and knowledge of US civics. After naturalization occurs, the applicant must intend to reside with the spouse abroad and then reside in the US immediately after the spouse's employment abroad terminates. You will also need fingerprints to be taken and also tax documentation too. From there you will:

(1) submit your petition to the INS
(2) Pass an interview regarding your citizenship
(3) attend a ceremony to be sworn in

After this INS approval you will be interviewed at an INS District office (located in the US) and then attend the ceremony to be sworn in (also in the US.) The process for you as a spouse of a US citizen working abroad is expeditied and very beneficial for you. Good luck and best wishes for a happy life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back