K Visa Canadian born wanting to marry American born and recieve dual citizenship Canada/USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

perpetualglow

I am a Canadian (born in BC), and my fiancee is an American (born in CA, and has dual citizenship). We are wondering if I can recieve dual citizenship by him applying for a K1 fiancee visa for me, then we would get married within the 90 day time limit after I entered the US (we want to get married in Canada, but if it'll make the process easier we are fine with getting married in the USA) then would I get a green card and finally naturalized? I have been researching the internet for 2 months, and have come out even more confused! If anyone has any idea of how I could get dual citizenship (Canada/USA), I would appreciate it.

Thankyou very much, Tiffany

A Canadian citizen can obtain permanent residency by marrying an American citizen. Then, after 3 years of permanent residency she can apply for American citizenship. But she needs to live in the U.S. for that period of time.

Please Help

Does this work the same in reverse? If it's the American marrying the Canadian, does the same permanent residency apply after marriage?

Btw, what exactly is permanent residency? Does it mean they can both live and work in Canada?

Thank you,
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back