can you tell me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

conmeten

ok in 18 days i turn 16 and am getting a job. if i raise money and build a small place to live on my friends property would i be able to get emancipated? i live with my mother my dad died 2 yrs ago. since, then there have been a few occasions on which ive had to go on very little food. if we move id have to be giving up friend my girlfriend and som of my family to move to Washington state. is there any legal action i can do to slow this down/ get me emancipated

Emancipation laws vary by state - what state are you in?

In general, you would have to show not only that you are responsible and capable of supporting yourself, but that emancipation would be in your best interest.

Now, WHY should a court grant you emancipation? If life is horrible at home, why should they not just place you in foster care while mom gets help with her drug or alcohol problem, or abuse? Or ... does she not have any of those problems, you're just wanting to be "free"?

And do you have any idea how much it costs to "build" a home? Even a small one? Sorry, but I doubt you can possibly get a job at 16 that will allow you to raise enough money to build more than a lemonade stand in the next few years.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back